How do you teach your daughter confidence?

I think it is super important that girls are exposed to a variety if things and not just gender stereotyped things. I think for girls to be well rounded and confident they need to not be pigeon holed into this girly girl emotional role where she is expected to be a people pleaser. My daughter loves barbie and all of that, the whole girly girl thing but she is also well rounded. She loves trying any new thing from sports to dance.

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 4:55 PM on May. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• by setting a good example and praise when she does well.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:59 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Well obviously by setting a good example. that is important but it is also circular talk. Not to be rude. But I was curious about specifically how.

IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 5:02 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Loving her and telling her she is beautiful, being there when she needs me. Also when your parents have self esteem, it follows.(which I do) My daughter is not limited to any particular activity. She will be able to make choices on what she likes to do as long as it is appropriate.
    Anonymous

• Telling her you love her and that she's beautiful everyday. Teaching her morals, setting values and following them as well. Showing them you appreciate their presence in your lives and always being there for her.
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 10:44 PM on May. 13, 2010

• you let them fail, then guide them through rising above the failure.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:13 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Confidence comes from trying, failing and succeeding. From conquering your fears. From setting out to do something and finishing the task. From practicing a song, or karate move or gymnastic stunt until you've mastered it. Give your daughter opportunities. Be her soft place to fall if she fails. Encourage her as she tries and help her with the hard parts as she practices.
    360

Answer by 360 at 2:06 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Let her pick one or two things to really try to excel at. The better she gets at it through practice, lessons, etc, the more confidence she will have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on May. 21, 2010