Boys in dance classes?

My 8 year old son is...different. lol. He loves to dance and sing all around the house. He's boyish is other ways. He's done 3 years of football incl. tackle, he's in t-ball, he loves girls etc but he's just really into dramatic things as well. Through school I put him in a modern dance type class. It wasn't very good and he was the only boy. I have been looking at courses and came across tap dance. He's excited so I will enroll him. Any thoughts on this? Any sons in tap?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 4:59 PM on May. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As an ex dancer. Who also played sports. Dancing will help  tremendously with his athletics. Give him confidence endurance and strength. We also had at the studio I went to, Notre Dame football players take some ballet classes to help with strength, endurance and flexiblity. So go for it.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:10 PM on May. 13, 2010

• look at zak Effron- all the super star boys have taken Dance!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:01 PM on May. 13, 2010

• There is a Charter school near me and it's mandatory that the boys take ballet. I've heard of it.
    Anonymous

• Poor thing. I hope you don't have that attitude around him "he's different". He is normal. He is himself and still a boy. I'm sorry but I get really annoyed of gender roles. That is what is wrong with many men in this world. Good for you for supporting him.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 5:12 PM on May. 13, 2010

• @Izze. No, I certainly don't make him feel different. Didn't mean to come across like that. He does astound and confuse me sometimes though...he's such a character! So different from his older brother but just as loved and accepted.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:15 PM on May. 13, 2010