First Pet

I know I'll probably get some bashing for this, since a lot of moms seem to be against a first pet for you younger child, but I want to get my 2.5 yr old daughter a first pet. She is very mature, gentle, and helpful. I really think she deserves it. And I fully plan on helping in taking care of this pet, as I am an animal lover as it is. So really, it would be a pet for the two of us. We want something small and pretty low matinence, but preferably no fish, as I have horrible luck with them =[. I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 5:03 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would not recommend a bird for a child that young. Period. I bred them for years- parakeets, canaries, finches, cockatiels... children under 10 should not have birds regardless of how "mature" they are. Birds do not like being handled by young children and they have no other way of reacting than biting. If they bite a child, it will hurt and the child will react by slinging their hand to remove the bird... bird either does not let go and the child is injured worse or the bird ends up dying. I bred birds for many years and even though my 4 year old and almost 2 year olds love birds like mommy- they will not have one until they are at least 10 years of age and can handle them properly. As a former breeder- I say fish. Just do it properly. A betta with a small bowl that is dechlorinated, fed twice a week and cleaned once a week. PM me if you want more information- I've worked with animals all of my life in a professional way.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:10 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I had ginny pigs as a child......that was pretty easy :) A hamster might also be good.

Also had a parakeet, and bunnies (a bit more work as I remember...got up early to pick dandelion leaves for it before school..)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 5:09 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Hrmmm...didnt think of a parakeet or small bird. I absolutely adore birds. My parrot, whom I got from my grandma when she passed just passed away last year at the ripe old age of 59. I miss him. Perhaps I should consider a bird.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 5:12 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I was going to suggest a guinea pig also! My good friend has a guinea pig and loves it!! The kids play with it and the guinea pig gets really excited and starts squealing when somebody walks up the stairs. You will have to clean the cage once a week of course, but other than that they are pretty low maintenance. Good luck with your decision!!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 5:12 PM on May. 13, 2010

• We had two dogs before the baby was born, so we had instant pets. My daughter is 20 months, so she's too young to really care for them, although she does love to go on walks with them and scoop out the food. However, we went to Walmart and bought a couple of goldfish. We had visited an aquarium a week or so before and Aubrey loved the fish. So when we were in the store and passed the fish, she was so excited. It was a $20 investment to get the bowl, rocks, food and fish. Although I usually change the water in the bowl, she reminds me every morning and every night to feed Speckle and Wish. She says goodbye to them every morning. She loves to watch them swim.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:09 PM on May. 13, 2010

• The most low-maintenance pet I can think of is a hermit crab if minimal care is what you're going for. Otherwise a puppy is a great choice as something she can not only learn the responsibility of caring for, but will also grow up with it. Kids and dogs are natural friends and bond pretty tightly.
    mirjo

Answer by mirjo at 9:39 PM on May. 13, 2010