Parakeets eating only millet spray?

Only had these guys for a few days. It seems they eat only the millet spray and ignore the fresh dish of food I have out for them daily. I bought the same food the pet store said they used so obviously taste isn't an issue. Should I not offer millet for a day or so to force them to eat their seed?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 5:05 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Pets

• Yes take the millet out. It's like candy to them. only offer every other day or so.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:11 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Oldermom is right. The sprays of millet should only be used as occasional treats.
    Anonymous

• Take the millet out and they'll start to eat. Like the other moms said, it's basically like asking a toddler to choose between a plate of cookies and a plate of pasta. Both are good but which do you think is gonna get eaten?
    When I had my parakeets, I saved the millet for a twice a week treat.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 5:56 PM on May. 13, 2010

• The petshop said to keep a spray in daily but YOU are right. I removed it and it forced the little fatties to hop down a perch and eat their real food. Thanks ladies!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:19 PM on May. 13, 2010