True or false : Children in day care are being raised partially by someone other than their parents?

Does a child spending 8 hours a day with someone count as being raised by them? Or is being "raised" something different than time spent with someone? If so,what? are your children in day care?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes they are. As a former day care employee...we used to call those kids "lifers" It is sad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:20 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Im probably going to get bashed for this but YES... I worked part-time at a day care in High school and we had parents that would dropped their children off at 5:30 in the morning and pick then up at 6:30 in the afternoon... everyday. Most children in daycare spend more waking hours with their "teacher" than with their mothers.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• well, i dont think it would be considered "raised" ... its similar to school. would you consider your kids being raise by there teacher if they are in school? i think it has a big impact on there life though, but i dont know if it would be called raised.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:07 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My children are in daycare. I believe their daycare teachers are helping us care for and raise them, but ultimately we are the ones with the most influence and the ones making choices for our children. If I believed the daycare had values significantly different than ours I would be looking for a new daycare.

Growing up my grandparents helped care for me and my sister a lot (we all lived on the same farm); they did help raise us, but it was our parents who had the most influence.
    Anonymous

• m probably going to get bashed for this but YES... I worked part-time at a day care in High school and we had parents that would dropped their children off at 5:30 in the morning and pick then up at 6:30 in the afternoon... everyday. Most children in daycare spend more waking hours with their "teacher" than with their mothers."

5:30 to 6:30? 13 hours? That's so sad. I just think of those poor babies left without their parents ALL day, and it makes me so sad. I'm sure after a while they just get used to it, and that makes it all even sadder.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt say raised but they are a huge influence on your children and that could be bad or good and honestly you would never know cause your not there with them. Thats why I do not send my babys to day care and will be homeschooling them considering how bad public schools have become with the drugs, sex, shootings, bullying and the list goes on and on.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:15 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes I agree with you Laci. I worked in daycare to and most of the parents dropped off by 5:30am and picked up at 6:00pm. If they even showed up on time. Sometimes we had to stay late for parents that can't read a clock. Then there are days when you try to contact them to pick up their sick child and they can't be reached. Then they get there as say "oh I had the day off so I went shopping". They can't even spend time with their kids on a vacation day. When I quit the day care center I told the director that I quit because I could stand watching children being treated like this, and that I would never use a day care center.
    Anonymous

• Yes. That child is there for 8 hours a day, sometimes less, sometimes more. Whatever happens at daycare impacts a child. Some parents use the daycare as a substitute parent.

Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 6:39 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes, the daycare workers are feeding, teaching and caring for your child 8 plus hours a day. You pick them up and spend a grand total of 2, maybe 3 waking hours if you're lucky with your child.

There is no way that a daycare worker is going to have the same values as the parent. They are getting paid to watch your child, not be their moral role model but yet that's what happens, negatively.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Especially if they are very young.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:17 PM on May. 13, 2010