Watery poo from oversupply???

Ok so I am breastfeeding and working on an oversupply issue and baby has very bad water stools, it leaks everywhere everytime she goes. Is this normal and if so how long should I expect this?? Is there anything I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is she?
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 6:41 PM on May. 13, 2010

• 2 months
    Anonymous

• Are you switching breasts? is she gassey? Is her poop green and mucusy?

What you could do is pump before you nurse, so the baby gets more of the hind milk, which is less watery and more fattier.
    However, if the weather is really hot where you live, the baby might be thirsty and need the foremilk because it quenches thirst.
    Foremilk: thirst
    Hindmilk: hunger.
    I would try to nurse completley on one side before you switch sides. You might feel a little strange with one boob bigger than the other, but after a while it will all even out as your body adjusts.

She also could be going through a growth spurt, so if she's nursing a lot, that's what that's about. If you are really worried, I'd cut out dairy in your diet, and acidic things like OJ and tomato sauce. But I imagine she's thirsty and is drinking a lot of foremilk. If she's otherwise healthy and there's no blood in her stool, just try to adjust and figure it out.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I agree with some of what Saya said - she could be getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Nurse on the same side multiple feedings in a row, even when you think you're empty keep going. THEN switch sides, and use that side multiple times. If you can't handle going multiple feedings without the full side exploding, pump it. OR, you could pump or hand-express a couple ounces or so before nursing baby - but still use the same breast a couple times in a row or more. I had the same issues with my son and didn't realize what the problem was til it was basically too late.
    Anonymous