am i wrong?

am i wrong to get my 18 month old daughter to pick up her toys before she goes to bed at night.....I hold her hand and show get her to pick up her toys and put them back in her toybox where they belong before she goes to bed at night, but my DH thinks that she is too young to be picking up her toys at night and that i should be doing it for her....am i wrong by getting her to pick them up???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Making her do it herself and sitting there yelling and screaming for her to do it YES she is too young (a friend did this), but what you describe (helping her put them away) is NOT too young in my book. I have been doing the same with my children since they could walk and they have no issues picking up their toys on their own now at the ages of 3 and 5 years.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• No, I think you are doing fine.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Good gosh no! It's not like you're a slave driver or anything, and I think 18 months is about the perfect age to start having her pick up after herself! It will set standards that will last into adulthood!
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 6:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• No, you're not wrong. It's the perfect time to get her started. She shouldn't have to do it all on her own, but she's definitely old enough to start learning and if she learns early, she'll be more willing to help out later on.
    Anonymous

• no keep doing what your doing !
    Anonymous

• I would make her put a few back but maybe not all. You are not wrong at all! You are teaching her independence. We sing the clean up song at playgroup every week. They love helping.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 6:28 PM on May. 13, 2010

• no i dont think ur wrong but i do believe in letting kids enjoy there youth. shes going to be picking up & cleaning for the rest of her life, why not do the picking up for her now. shes not even 2 yet
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:28 PM on May. 13, 2010

• no way! you're doing great! teach them early that if they make a mess, they are responsible for cleaning it up! it's not like you're being harsh & punishing her. you're teaching her good things!
    Anonymous

• You have to start young as far as being taught to pick up after yourself...teach your baby now and they will not see picking up as a JOB but as something that is a part of life...(you can let your child be a child, but once they get 5 and they still want you to pick up after them, i bet you will wish you had showed them to pick up after themselves earlier....YOURE RIGHT
    moodymommy193

Answer by moodymommy193 at 6:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• i think you are doing the right thing too. it doesn't sound like you are being too tough on her :) i have heard parents express regret for being too tough. personally i think that being harder on a child is better in the long run than being too easy on them : )
    i like how moody mommy put it, picking up is a part of life!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:02 PM on May. 13, 2010