when is it ok to start my little one on solids?

ive seen that it should start around 4 months then i seen 6 months...then i was informed that i shouldnt for atleast a year...my little girl is strictly breastfeed...im just really confused

orie102007

Asked by orie102007 at 6:51 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 months is ideal.....I didn't really start solids until closer to 8 months though.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:00 PM on May. 13, 2010

• When I say ideal...I mean that it's best to wait until AT LEAST 6 months. There's really no need for solids before that. If your daughter is EBF...then you can wait until 8-9 months just so she becomes accustomed to chewing and eating, so that she will be ready for table foods. It's for experience and getting used to different textures before 1...not for nutritional purposes..she will still be getting all that she needs from you. It's really up to you Mama, but if I were you, I wouldn't worry about solids until like 8 or 9 months.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:03 PM on May. 13, 2010

• The AAP and WHO recommend exclusive breast milk until AT LEAST 6 months old. They don't NEED anything else until about 10-12 months though. I followed the book Baby Led Weaning and gave my children steamed veggies etc on their high chair trays at the table with the rest of the family starting at 6 months old, but they didn't really eat them until about 9-10 months old and never had any purreed food.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:16 PM on May. 13, 2010

• my doc started mine at 4 months. he is fine, and LOVES sweet potatoes :p
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 8:05 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I started at 3 1/2 mos and she is just fine. We started with veggies and that is what she really loves to this day and we are very close to the second birthday.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:23 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If your baby was full term you want to start around 6 mo with a breastfed baby according to latest research. If you wait too long there can be problems with the baby liking certain groups of foods and with food allergies. Solids are always for nutrition and not for experience. The experience myth was started by a baby food company and someone on cm keeps telling moms that despite the fact I've given her info & it makes no sense. Everything you give your baby should be for nutrition.

www.kellymom.com has general info on starting solids. Mothering magazine has had some good recent articles on starting solids that may be on their website www.mothering.com

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:32 AM on May. 14, 2010

• The latest research has shown that the only thing you need to wait until after 12 mo is cow's milk and honey. Babies can even have things like peanuts, soy, citrus, ect. any time after 6 mo. This info is from a study done reviewing all of the other studies on starting solids and the studies on food allergies. You should be able to find more about it from google or on the American Academy of Pediatrics website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:36 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Let your child decide but don't try introducing them until at least 6 months. My son is still breastfed at 2 and I introduced fruits and vegetables at 6 months but it wasn't until around 14 months that he started to get a real interest in food and then started eating lots and lots. This is perfectly natural though but something to consider.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:22 PM on May. 14, 2010