Do you spank your toddlers for having tantrums in public?

Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on May. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't hit kids. Ever. If they have tantrums they have tantrums. They're kids for cripe's sake, it happens. While neither of my kids have had a tantrum so out of control that I felt I had to leave somewhere, they're both had their moments. I just do the best I can and keep moving on with my day.
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 11:56 PM on May. 13, 2010

• no, i dont. spanking makes worse, and teaches nothing positive, only violence & creates more anger.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:35 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I dont spank my child period...no matter what the situation is!
    Anonymous

• NOPE. I let her have her fit. I'll usually place her in a shopping cart if she has the fit at a store, and continue on with my shopping. She knows she lost privileges when she gets home of course for acting that way in a store. (no computer games or dolls)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I sure did. I don't have to now because I did then. If they are brave enough to behave badly in public, they better be brave enough to take their punishment there. It was the risk of being punished where they misbehaved that was the deterrent.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:41 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I ignore them when my kid is throwing a temper tantrum at home. If he did it in public I would leave.
    I spank my child but never in public is no one else s business on how I discipline my child. I know that they are people that vehemently against it and I wouldn't want to bother anyone or get into an argument if they decided to tell me what they think.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:42 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I don't spank my child at all. If she has a tantrum in public which is RARE (and only because she didn't nap) , I leave wherever I am so as to not disturb others.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:42 PM on May. 13, 2010

• OP

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I get tired of some moms who think that throwing tantrums in public is a spankable offense. I don't spank either, and I allow my daughter to express her emotions. A 2 year old doesn't always know how to appropriately express emotion.
    Anonymous

• Spanking sends the message that hitting solves problems...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I don't hit anyone, ever, for any reason. Especially a child.
    Anonymous