My son will be 3 in Aug. he loves to do #1 in the toilet #2 not yet, should I keep putting diapers back on him ? I have pull ups but Iv'e heard that confuses them & he doesn't tell me he has to go

& my fault I'm busy with my 7month old so can't always run to the bathroom with him should I just put underwear & make him feel the wetness?? Thank you

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 8:47 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you should try underwear.
    I told my son he cant pee or poop in his underwear and we have had a couple of accidents, but hes much better at it now.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:50 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I have actually had 2 successes this week by catching my lo while she is grunting and trying to poop. She gets so excited when she gets to dump her potty. I would try and catch him while he is trying to go. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:00 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Get rid of diapers all together.
    Use big boy underwear during the day and pull ups at night(and when you go out places until he's fully trained)

This is what I did with my son. It took me a while to realize that pull ups during the day didn't make a lick of difference. They're just glorified diapers.

My son wouldn't poop in the toilet for the longest time. It was few and far between but we would make a big stink every time he did it. Cheering and clapping, we even had a little dance we did which he thought was hilarious.
    We just found what made him happy and went with it.

My son is almost 3.5 now and has been doing really well. We had a good 2 or 3 week period with no daytime accidents and he even woke up during the night to pee.
    He's hit a bit of a backslide this past week and has had a few accidents but I keep hearing that it's totally normal.

Just be consistent, encouraging and supportive.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 9:02 PM on May. 13, 2010

• He has no reason whatsoever to make the effort if you are not willing to make the effort... I know it's hard with two... But you gotta ditch those diapers...
    Anonymous

• Your right I'm giving him mixed messaged diapers, then pull ups, then diapers, Goodbye diapers I feel so bad :(
    sissaymay

Answer by sissaymay at 11:54 PM on May. 13, 2010

• You need to pick one and stick to it - but if he's not ready, he's not ready. Our pedi said it's not really abnormal for a boy not to be potty trained until 3-4. We were going back and forth with DS, trying to get him potty trained, but it was more frustrating than anything else. We were pretty inconsistent with it, which didn't help matters any! Then one day, about a month after he turned 3, it clicked and we haven't looked back since! Good luck - he'll get it when he's ready :)
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 12:21 AM on May. 14, 2010