How do I handle this situation?

My husband has this very bad habit of hangin up the phone
on me when he doesn't like what i have to say. He used to do this alot when we were goin thru marital problems and to make me mad he would do this, it drove me crazy! Now that we're on better terms, he'll talk things out. But today he hung the phone up on me, and when I tried to call him back, he wouldn't answer. I wanted to ring his neck! What can I do to get him to stop doin this disrespectful act. I tell him to stop doin that or we're gonna have trouble, so what should the consequences be when he does it to me again?

mrs2323

Asked by mrs2323 at 9:15 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Next time he starts talking walk out of the room. Then when he is staring at where you were ask him if he finds what you did disrespectful. Then tell him that's how you feel every time he hangs up the phone. Some times guys need an example.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My husband does that too. I would let him calm down first and my mom taught me to never handle important matters over the phone (or text) but in person. Wait til he gets home and talk to him about the problem before and the hanging up.
    janel09

Answer by janel09 at 9:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Some people walk away or hang up to stop themselves from saying harsh, unkind things. You calling him back is nagging and harping and just as disrespectful. Tell him you don't like him just hanging up and then lead by example - if a debate is getting heated say " I'm going to go now to calm down" and then hang up. And don't answer when he calls you back -respect his right to have some space from the argument. Yes it seems rude, but maybe what he'd say if he stayed on the line would be more offensive.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:27 PM on May. 13, 2010

• id be mad too. but i have a habit of walking out in the middle of a fight when it just is not worth it anymore. remember, when married people fight noone wins. give him some space and talk about things when you both calm down.
    Anonymous

• I do this because its not always the best time to have a yelling match it diffuses something that could be worse. Consequences you are not his parent. Sometimes this breaks up a fight and maybe he should be commended my x gets mad but after a couple minutes of hearing what I did wrong I get tired and hang up.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:40 PM on May. 13, 2010

• op- Thanks ladies. All your answers gave me something to think about. And I will take your advice. Makes sense to me.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 9:57 PM on May. 13, 2010