Laura Bush: Pro-Choice and Pro-Gay Marriage???

Promoting her autobiography on CNN this week, former first lady Laura Bush told Larry King that she disagreed with her husband George Bush on gay marriage and abortion. In a thoughtful and measured response she went on to say that she believed gay marriage was a generational issue and that, in time, she thought marriage equality would be a reality.

On pro-choice and abortion issues, she said that abortion should stay legal "for medical reasons and other reasons."

“Before the election season had unfolded, I had talked to George about not making gay marriage a significant issue. We have, I reminded him, a number of close friends who are gay or whose children are gay. But at that moment I could never have imagined what path this issue would take and where it would lead.”

YouTube Video of L.King Interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNabdDx_mU&feature=player_embedded

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not see what the question is. i agree with Laura Bush, for what it is worth.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:19 PM on May. 13, 2010

• What's the question....?
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:25 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yup.... As much as some like to sterotype conservatives as evil Pro-lifers against SSM, that just isn't always the case... Good for Laura. I am wanting to read her book.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:27 PM on May. 13, 2010

• GOOD FOR HER!

I don't see a question here though unless you are just wanting opinions on it. From the way you wrote your "question" I figure you are against it and just want confirmation that you are right and she is wrong, but whatever.
    Anonymous

• Surprise is more like it than a question I guess. Being the dutiful politician's wife that she is, I had no idea that her views would be so reasonable compared to him. And I guess I was wondering if others knew that too.

/OP/
    Anonymous

• good for her. thats good to here.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:36 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Not at all surprised. It's 2010- Being pro-choice just means that you leave that decision up to each woman and respect others' choices. Why should my choice or belief affect anyone else? Again, it's America and 2010.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:51 PM on May. 13, 2010

• She has her own mind. My hubby and I dont agree 100% on every issue.
    She was respectful (like a good wife and friend to her husband should be) to the position her husband held.

While I don't agree with her on these issues I completely respect her view...She was and still is a very classy lady in my oh so humble opinion.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:59 PM on May. 13, 2010

• At least she is honest, which is a heck of a lot more than I can say for most political people, past and especially present...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• MKir and Agent- I agree. Laura appears to be a very classy lady.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:35 PM on May. 13, 2010