allowing a 7 yr old to cook?

with supervision of course...
i let my 7 yr old son pick and fix supper tonight, he made hamburgers on the george forman grill and french fries in the oven...i cut up the onions and tomatoes.
he LOVES to cook. i also allow him to make baked chicken and let him pick out his own spices...
so is he too young to cook? i have ppl look at me like im a bad mom for lettin him do so

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• NO!!! I think it is awesome !!!!

You have inspired me, I have a 6 & 9 yr. old, and i'm gonna involve them in the cooking from now on ( w/ supervision, naturally.)
    They can only benefit from it, and feel useful, learn math (pints, galon,cups), ......there are SOOO many things to bennefit from it.

Thank you for the idea!!!!!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 10:08 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I dont think so, as long as your watching him and making sure he's not leaving the stove on and he knows not to touch the stove or a knife, yall should be fine. He can be the next Emeril :-)
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:07 PM on May. 13, 2010

• No way. I started helping my dad cook when I was under 5, and I was cooking full meals with no supervision by the time I was 10. I LOVE to cook and my dad helped me foster that love by teaching me early and showing me how you can make it fun and create your own delicious works of art. Now, I'm doing the same with my daughter. She's 3, and she helps right now by helping me add ingredients. She thinks it's great!
    Anonymous

• Psshhh... I started cooking at 3 and ya know what I grew up to be before I was a mom?? A Chef. I'm a Pastry chef turned SAHM. My 4 yr old cooks with me all the time- real meals. She is learning how to hold a knife properly and to make proper cuts ( all with strong supervision of course).. my almost 2 year old tries, but I don't let her help yet. She is too young and wild yet.
    It is great that your son is learning to cook already. He will make a wonderful husband one day to a very lucky woman! LOL
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:16 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My 7 yr old is scared to death of actually cooking. She does like to pour ingredients into a bowl though, but she wants nothing to do with heat. My sisters kids started cooking while supervised when they were about 4 or 5 and now they are teens and take turns making dinner and do a really great job.
    Anonymous

• That is not too young. Ppl always have something to say! Sounds great to me.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:31 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Seriously they look at you like you're a bad mom? Maybe it's in your head, but just ask "what do you think?" so you can get it out in the open I guess.

I think it's tremendously WONDERFUL!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:33 PM on May. 13, 2010

• If your son is mature enough to be safe while near the oven and other hot surfaces than I say do it. I was about that age when I started cooking with my dad. I don't have personal experience with this yet since my eldest if only 5 and the only think I let them do is push the buttons on the microwave or sometimes I'll hold them and let them stir the sauce/soup. I have a 9 year old cousin that just isn't bright when it comes to stuff like that and there's no way I'd let him near and oven because he'd without a doubt burn himself.
    Anonymous

• I was cooking at that age. As long as your there it's ok.
    Anonymous

• Not too young. I was cooking at that age without supervision.  I sometimes ask my mother WTH she was thinking, lol.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:44 PM on May. 13, 2010