2 yr old and speech...what do you think??

My 2 yr old has been saying single words and animal sounds for months. She doesn't make 2-3 sentences other than, "momma owie,mom no, daddy shhh,my momma and dadda." When we try to get her to speak she gets frustrated/upset. When she says new words and we react she stops and won't say it again (our daycare provider has experienced this too with her). She can tell you the sounds of animals and cars,trains,planes,etc, but won't say their proper names. When asked who people are in a picture she will name, her gma,gpa,mom,dad, and uncle, but thats it. She often plays by herself and mumbles, and loves to sing /hum with music. She is very stubborn.
At her 2yr chk up, the dr said she wasn't too concerned, that there were no "red flags." That we could go ahead and have her evaluated for speech if we wanted.
What do you think? Should I go through the costly evaluations from our dr referral? Or will she begin talking when she wants?

Scarletts_mum

Asked by Scarletts_mum at 10:12 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's the same thing my granddaughter experienced, and that's the same things we were told. She turned two in January. She has really started to try to form sentences. It's hard to understand, but they are sentences. Some kids just talk when they are ready. I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Anonymous

• I think she will talk when she is ready. My daughter didn't talk great until 3 years old. If you do have her evaluated, you should be able to find a free evaluation through early intervention or some other services in your area.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 10:21 PM on May. 13, 2010

• See if your state has a early intervention program. My son has some health issues and he has therapy four times week, twice with a speech therapist. If he was just only delayed in speech, I probably wouldn't have thought about therapy. But the state's early intervention helps pay for evaluations and therapy.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry too much as long as she can somewhat communicate what she wants to you. Read to her as much as you can. It will help. GL
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:25 PM on May. 13, 2010

• That's nice to hear she is not the only kiddo like this!! She is very smart (I think) and it pains me that she is not speaking yet, considering I am a Kindergarten teacher, and I teach all the basics. I feel very frustrated that she isn't speaking more. It just amazes me that I can ask her a question and she will answer w/her gestures or I can give her directions and she follows them to a T! If I say to her "I love you" she will wait, and I can say "I" and she says "mom"...I almost feel like its all a game to her! I can give her a word and she will say the opposite of it (I say "mom", she says "dad". If I switch and say "dad", and she will say "mom"! Ugh!
    Scarletts_mum

Answer by Scarletts_mum at 10:27 PM on May. 13, 2010

• The more you push her to talk, the longer it will take. My 4th child hardly said a peep before he was 2.5. Now he's 3 and won't shush unless he's sleeping. Just give her time and don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• We are going through the same thing with my son. We did take him and have him evaluated. (This was last fall before he was 2) The speech therapist we saw said he will talk when he wants to. He is doing better but he is not making sentences at all.
    I would not worry about it too much. If your doctor is not concerned (ours was, that is why we had him evaluated), and she is comprehending and following directions, she will talk when she is ready.
    Slieurance

Answer by Slieurance at 10:41 PM on May. 13, 2010

• I would definitely request an evaluation through Early Intervention. It will be at no cost to you and will give you peace of mind or let you know if she has any developmental delays. It's always best to rule things out early or begin therapy as early as possible. Ask for a complete evaluation for developmental delays to get a thorough evaluation.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:06 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My first child (boy) didn't speak til he was 2. My second (girl) just about came out talking and spoke in full, coherent sentences by the time she was 18 months old. My third (girl) is now 2.5 and says things that I can understand (most of the time) but nobody else would have any idea what she's saying. I'm not concerned. They are all different. The main thing to look out for is regression in speech or no interest in communication whatsoever.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 11:16 PM on May. 13, 2010

• She says more than my 2 yr old and they are not concerned with her speech...yet. I wouldn't worry. It sounds like she is still developing speech, just working on different things than most 2 yr olds
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 11:17 PM on May. 13, 2010