Should an 8 year old clean her own room?

Not for me. My friend. She doesn't tell her daughter to clean up after herself. Not my business I know just curious to what you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would think so.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:37 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My 3 year old cleans her room...at least the putting toys away and picking up her dirty clothes. I still vacuum and dust but she's been picking up for almost a year.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:38 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My 6 & 9 yr. old's pick up their room (with a bit encouragement), and have done so for 3-4 yrs. now.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 10:42 PM on May. 13, 2010

• she must like being a maid! i hope she changes her ways, its good for kids to do things for themselves.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 10:43 PM on May. 13, 2010

• As long as the parents help the kid implement some organization systems so there's "place for everything" in their room, then an 8-year-old should absolutely be able to tidy up after themselves.

But these parents are going to have a struggle since the kid isn't used to it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:43 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Yes. My kids are 5 and 4 and they pick up after themselves.They learned from the start where things go, even when they were too little to pick up themselves I made sure they watched and paid attention to me while I picked up their stuff. My 5 year old has an issue with picking up her clothes but they both pick up all their toys and my 4 year old knows where her dirty clothes go. My 5 year old also helps fold laundry and my 4 year old likes to help put it away - for some reason my 5 year old makes more of a mess when putting the clothes away and just yesterday I got so sick of her clothes being every where and her changing her clothes for the third time in one day I told her she wasn't allowed to touch her dresser or get her own clothes until she learned how to pick up her clothes.
    Anonymous

• My kids have helped me clean since they could walk literally. So, my answer is yes.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:50 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Um, yes, my 8yo & almost 7 yo clean their room, vaccuum, everything except move furniture, themselves. They're not forced to either, they know it's something they have to do and they usually like doing it.
    Anonymous

• You are kidding? Right?

My almost 3 year old cleans his room!!!!

The rules are simple: When your feet hit the floor, you make your bed. When you are done playing with something, or reading a book, you put it away before getting a new one. When you change clothes you put your old ones in the dirty laundry- never in your room. Toys stay in your room, if they come out of your room, they go away. When you are done with outside toys for the day, you put them away in the garage so that the lawnmower does not eat them.

My JUST 9 y/o DD also helps with dishes, sweeps (so do my other 2- even the 3 year old), clean the table after meals, fold and put away laundry (they ALL do this), help w/ yard work, spot clean walls & floors, etc.

Yeah- 8 is TOO OLD not to be cleaning their own room!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:04 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My almost 3 year old cleans his room!!!!

The rules are simple: When your feet hit the floor, you make your bed. When you are done playing with something, or reading a book, you put it away before getting a new one. When you change clothes you put your old ones in the dirty laundry- never in your room. Toys stay in your room, if they come out of your room, they go away. When you are done with outside toys for the day, you put them away in the garage so that the lawnmower does not eat them......LOL IM THE SAME WAY EXCEPT THE VACUUM CLEANER WILL EAT THE TOYS ----(DD IS THREE ALSO )
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:07 PM on May. 13, 2010