Am I the only person in this country who feels the suggested Immigration Laws wouldn't be so bad after all?

I'm sorry, I'm not at all racist and I'm not 100% against illegal immigration because I do agree that at times circumstances can be so severe it's their only option. But I do feel like no matter your situation...you should try to come here legally and if that fails, come here illegally and work on making yourself legal. It's a tough process no doubt but have we all forgotten why it's so difficult to come to this country?? National security. We are a great country, not without flaws but we are doing pretty darn well and that's because we have LAWS and even poverty stricken, abused, and threatened people are not above the law. And I feel that we do have a HUGE immigration problem and if anyone can suggest ways we can sort this problem out other than asking suspected illegals for documentation then I'd be REALLY interested in hearing your solution. There has to be some sacrifice to keep laws in place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i agree with u .. we are also immigrants. but came here legally. and im not working (only my DH is as he's allowed to by the gov.) only because that would be illegal. sure we need extra cash around the house, but we dont want to take any chances and break the law. we're waiting for our green card (spend tons and tons of money in the process.. had to cut back on our luxuries, so hopefully we'll get it soon) so then i can also start working and keep our house running .. pisses me off when i see illegal people working, not fair to us people who are following the law and getting nothing in return .. but then again, i wouldnt do anything stupid or take any chances. better to have a clean conscious
    Anonymous

• I haven't kept up with exactly what the suggested laws are, but something needs to be done. I don't know what, but something. It's not right that people can come here illegally and have everything paid for them by the people who are here legally.
    Anonymous

• I'm with you and the same question was up a few days ago
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:12 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Anon : 06 -

Thanks for your response! I am 100% supportive of people like you and your family. As long as people try to do things the right way I'm all for it.
    Anonymous

• mommy_of_two - sorryyy I didn't know, i'm not on often (:
    Anonymous

• I just feel like sometimes I can't voice my opinion on this matter without being called racist which is absolutely ridiculous given that I have a mixed race daughter (hispanic/white) and it aggravates me. US citizens are too busy freaking out on each other and trying to do what's "right' and "constitutional" to see the situation for what it really is. Yeah, It's sad that it's come to the point where we have to ask anyone suspected of being illegal for papers but I feel that if I myself were from another country and I WAS legal..I wouldn't be offended if asked for papers because I know that it's not personal...it's a matter of national security and if you are already a citizen you should appreciate the fact that SOMEONE is trying to keep our country safe and make it run smoothly. I am tired of this whole playing the race card thing...it has nothing to do w. race and everything to do with that fact .......cont
    Anonymous

• CONT

that people are breaking the laws in our country and that it just so happens the vast maturity are from Central and South America and it doesn't take a racist or a rocket scientist to realize that many of the people from Central and S. America are hispanic and therefore "brown"
    Anonymous

• even poverty stricken, abused, and threatened people are not above the law
    ---
    Excellent point! Although there are too many who would disagree with this, this is the absolute truth. NO one is above the law. Our laws are there for a reason, and they should be enforced. Our federal government does not have its primary responsibility as its first priority, and we all pay a price for that.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:39 PM on May. 13, 2010

• 29again - THANK YOU! Gosh I wish people could understand this. But no, it becomes "you are insensitive" and "they are people too, they should have rights" and yadda yadda yadda. No one is saying they aren't people, that they shouldn't have rights or its not sad that they have issues but their issues are becoming OUR issues and we need to take control of the situation. I think our founding fathers would understand if we had to do a little "racial profiling (and I use that term loosely) to restore our country to what it was intended to be. And no, I do not mean by getting rid of these people...I mean by finding a way to control the situation...get the bad guys out, and help the good guys stay.
    Anonymous

• very well said OP i think you hit the nail on the head!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:11 AM on May. 14, 2010