The Power Of Prayer...

...Is proven.... BUT- as an Atheist I also believe in the power of prayer. Not for the entity which they believe would be granting the wish, but for the simple fact of encouragement. It is known that when one has a positive outlook, they are more likely to overcome whatever obstacle is in their path.
I personally appreciate knowing that I am important enough for the delusional masses to take their kindness and good will to their entity on my behalf.
Other "non-believers".... Your personal perception of prayer- Especially from the KNOWN, factual, medical, scientific standpoint?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:13 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is one of the nicest things you have said about believers and thank you for the positive outlook! Blessings..
    I must say you are one of the only ones I know of that can insult people and praise them at the same time. That takes skill! LOL!!
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 11:47 PM on May. 13, 2010

• @ Daphna28~ I wasn't trying to be snarky... I had a convo w/ my mum today, and she stated (knowing my personal beliefs) that she would pray for me- and even though I do not believe in the entity to which she offers up her good will, I do appreciate knowing that I am important enough in the life of another that they would do so on my behalf.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:54 PM on May. 13, 2010

• obby, it is nice what u said, but why call them delusional? that is a bit insulting.
    Anonymous

• While it is a bit insulting to be called delusional, I see what you are getting at. I'm not a Christian, so my thoughts on prayer and how it works are probably ALOT different then the other posters. I believe it is more of a "power sharing" process than anything. Of course, there are times when angels and the Gods do intervene, but mostly I feel it's just one big transfer of power.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:07 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I pray, but I also appreciate when non-believers, keep in their thoughts, or send positive energy my way. To me it's the intention that matters and if someone is doing something out of love or kindness for me then I appreciate it, even from delusional masses who don't believe (lol).

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:12 AM on May. 14, 2010

• God heals and the doctors collect the fee LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Actually, I have read that they scientific studies (the latest ones) on prayer and healing say it really doesn't have a significant effect on the ill. However, I do not believe that. As a Reiki practitioner, I know that my intent to send healing Reiki energy works. I've had it work on people when they didn't even know I was sending it. It is like prayer, which I think is focused energy. Whenever we send out focused positive energy, in the form of prayer, a spell (enhanced prayer), Reiki energy, positive thoughts, it adds to the positive energy in the Universe. And if you know anything about quantum particles, you know that intent CAN and DOES influence these particles. So, yes, I am happy for anyone to pray to me. To me, its all the same. Sending out love and positive energy. It's all good.
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 8:43 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I believe in the power of positive thinking but I also believe that you should be pro-active in achieving your goals.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:43 AM on May. 14, 2010

• woops!

am happy for anyone to pray to me

Now, I KNOW that I embody the Goddess, but really, I meant to say I'm happy for anyone to pray FOR me!

LOL!
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 8:44 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I believe in prayer only in the sense that it is (supposed) to be for sending out good energy. I believe any positive energy put out there comes back to us.
    HOWEVER, I believe many religious people put prayer out there for people like me in a condescending "holier than thou" tone, and that is negative to me. I would appreciate others not doing that on my behalf, LOL! I prefer positve energy. Like, if i"m going through a tough time...and others want to pray to offer me some sort of help....that is great!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:01 AM on May. 14, 2010