Jury duty

I got a letter today saying that I have Jury duty starting June 1st. I have to give at least 3 weeks to tell my job that I need a day off, plus I have no clue who will watch my son. I work two days out of the week and over the weekend. I can barely have someone watch my son the two days on the weekdays I work, plus I can't afford missed wages. Is there anyway to get out of it? I would normally go if I didn't have a two year old at home.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 11:52 PM on May. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You have to go and get accepted first. SO, there is a chance you wont get picked.
    I dont know, I guess you could just talk to whoever is in charge. Im sorry. good luck.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:54 PM on May. 13, 2010

• Tell them you're depressed or have some sort of mental illness so you are not a good canidate.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:54 PM on May. 13, 2010

• My friend just got out of it because she didn't have childcare. She is a sahm and her husband works full time. They have no family around to watch their little girl. Call and say you don't have childcare and you should be fine. There is no reason to lie and make something up.
    Anonymous

• Your job has to let you go, they have no choice and neither do you. You have to find a sitter for the day of jury dury. It's hard to get out of it. If they didn't make it hard everyone would want out. But if you do get selected for a case that might last long (like a week or so) and can't get a sitter they will let you go because it's a hardship.
    Anonymous

• If u get selected u still have to go. i had to pay for daycare when i did it. they didnt care that i did not have childcare there are ways to get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I don't have the money for childcare. I would do it if it weren't an entire week.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:03 AM on May. 14, 2010

• DH got out of jury duty simply by sending a letter saying he'd be out of the state that week. That was 7 years ago. He never heard a thing from it. His jury notice actually gave the address to write to if you need to be excused.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:07 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I'm sorry but this issue is a peeve of mine. Do you not think that EVERY person that gets called to jury duty has a lot issues going on with their lives? Do you think are the ONLY Mom who ever got called to jury duty who needed to request time off and find a babysitter? Every person who goes to jury duty is inconvenienced in some way. It just kills me when people think that their time is more important than mine. I had three kids under three years old at home while my husbands works and while it was inconvenient and it did cost me money because that $11 a day check didn't pay for an hour of daycare I sucked it up and dealt with it. Your time is not more important than anybody else's who gets called to jury duty. We could not even go on a honeymoon because my husband got called to jury duty. We had everything planned THEN came the notice. We got married on Saturday and Monday he was on jury duty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I"m sorry you're so lame last anon. Sucks for you.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:33 AM on May. 15, 2010