If you say that we can't keep teens from having sex.....

Why do you give up so easily? I did not have sex in high school, even though I could have. I have a dd, age 11, so it's not an issue quite yet, but it will be soon. So, I'm guessing that you don't want your teens to have sex, at least yet, so what will you do with your kid(s)?

For us, I'm going to know where she is, where she goes, who she's with, and she won't be left alone for all hours. We talk about sex as often as she's interested, which isn't too much yet. She has a younger sister, almost ten years younger. She knows how much work a baby is, so she's at least not going to be one of those who wants a baby because she wants someone to love her.

MonicaE521

Asked by MonicaE521 at 12:05 AM on May. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• your doing a good thing. i was the same way in highschool i was 19 when i lost my virginity and that was to my boyfriend, who is now my husband and weve been together 4 1/2 years. it takes a good upbringing to help your kids make the right choices. sounds like your on the right track. i just hope my son doesnt become the womanizer my husband was before i met him! lol
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 12:10 AM on May. 14, 2010

• of course im going to tell my teen's that they should wait until they really love someone, and tell them about STD's and how hard it is to take care of a baby, and that most likley it will be a mistake that they will regret ... but im not going to be unrealistic. im not going to punish them if they do or want to have sex, because wanting to have sex is something that comes naturally, why should they be punished for that? im not going to keep my kids locked in a cage, i brought them into this world so that they can experience life. they need to learn for themselves, and sometimes that does involve making mistakes. im going to do the best i can to keep them from that, but not by locking them up or making them feel ashamed for something that comes naturally. i would rather buy them condoms, BC, show them pictures of STD's and have there trust so that they will come to me with important things like this, rather then feel like they
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:10 AM on May. 14, 2010

• have to hide it or sneak behind my back. in my experience, the kids whos parents are too strict, are the ones who go crazy. of course you cant be to leniant either.. you have to find a balance. and like i said, i am no way going to encourage my teens having sex, but i did loose my virginity as a teenager, and i wasnt a slut, i dont and never have had an STD, and i didnt have a baby as a teen either.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:11 AM on May. 14, 2010

• THATS NOT A GOOD IDEA IF I WERE U I WILL JUST TALK TO HER AND THATS IT I WANT BE ON HER LIKE THAT BECAUSE SHE IS GOING TO GET wORSER DONT TAKE HER PHONE OR HER COMPUTER BECAUSE LIKE I SAID SHE IS GOING TO DO IT EVEN MORE JUST TALK TO HER TELL HER WAT CAN HAPPEN ABOUT THE DISEASES AND STUFF LIKE THAT
    Shaina11

Answer by Shaina11 at 12:17 AM on May. 14, 2010

• You don't own your kids. The best you can do is to educate them.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 12:18 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Shaina, your replies hurt my eyes. Please, please use some punctuation, don't be such an ignorant ass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 14, 2010

• It's true we can't keep them from doing it, but we can make sure we don't give them the opportunity. I'm all for sex education and birth control. But I wouldn't leave kids alone or let them have sleep overs.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:21 AM on May. 14, 2010

• You've got all the right ideas. Just remember the old saying...you can lead that horse to water. You cannot make her drink. All you can do is provide the information. What she chooses to do from there is going to be completely up to her.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:29 AM on May. 14, 2010

• My parents were almost over protective of me..... I had a curfew of 8pm ( until I was 17) , and my parents called to check in / I had to call and check in every hour if I wasnt with a family member, they had to know EVERYONE I was with ( including addresses, and phone numbers) ...when i had my first boyfriend ( at 15) ..we were only aloud to do activites with the family... I wasnt aloud in a car with him until I was 16 ( and that was only to and from school - most of the time with my little brother also) .....and they talked all about sex with me....................and I still had sex as a teen !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Please.....................WORSER......is not a word in ANY language!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:06 AM on May. 14, 2010