For those of you on food stamps....for the love of cripes give the Q a chance :)

I am watching Rachel Ray on Joy Behar and they are discussing the obesity rate and its correlation to the poor. Joy brought up fast food and how much cheaper it is. Ok, any broke person knows that fast food ISNT cheaper. For my family of four to eat at McDonalds I could MAKE at least 2 or 3 meals. Cinvenience. YES. Price. No. I think MOST broke people know that! OK. So the point they were making is that poor people lack the education to make the right decisions. I KNOW they mean well but it PISSED me off. JUST like it pissed me off years ago when I was on FS. So...my point. Did you know to be on FS or WIC they usually make you watch these videos to "educate" you? They are something you would watch in 5th grade science, and NO one pays attention. Do you think 1) that the poor are inherently stupid on this? (I dont) and 2) do you think these videos help ANYTHING? (I dont) Those in NEED dont lose their brain w their income :)

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 12:20 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• One thing I would like to add. I am a coupon er. Its a little addictive ;) I think an idea that would be great is giving opportunities to learn to STEEEEEEEEETTCCHHHH a dollar AND read labels, things like that. Dancing apples and people from the 80's with silly grins and dopey expressions talking to me like I am 4...not real helpful ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:22 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I am not on food stamps but I AM broke and YES junk food is cheaper. I am on a special diet right now and I have to buy fruits and vegtables and it is very expensive. If I had just a dollar and was hungry I could go to the grocery store and buy 1 apple or I could get a double burger off the value menu. Which will be more satifying? Even at the store junk food is always on sale. Spaghetti'o 10 for $10, ten meals OR for $10 I could buy vegtables for a salad for one meal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 14, 2010

• i just got on food stamps a couple of months ago and i didnt have to watch any videos.
    i think poor people are just depressed about being poor, so they eat alot because food is all they have. and theyre bored, & cant afford gym memberships. and probably lazy, which is why theyre broke.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:26 AM on May. 14, 2010

• No, I don't think that people are inherently stupid on making poor food choices. Economics speak far louder volumes, as you mentioned earlier. Fast food ain't cheap. Nor are the "highly processed, microwavable foods." I don't think the videos help at all. They are tainted and highly commercialized. What needs to be known are the chemicals injected into our foods, the hormones fed to our livestock, and how the poor farmers are forced into bankruptcy for non-compliance with the money grabbing BIG Industries. It pays to cook from scratch, to check out the scratch materials you're using and to determine if your body/health profits more than big corporations.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:29 AM on May. 14, 2010

• & i do have to agree that healthy food is more expensive ... maybe not fast food, but as far as food at the supermarket .. u can get boxes of mac n cheese and frozen pizzas for like a dollar. a bag of grapes is 8 bucks.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:30 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I don't think they think broke people are stupid but fact of the matter is (as a black person myself). Many just don't eat right. We were raised on pork and eating the cheapest meals we could. And they were not always healthy but they were good. So the habit needs to be broken through education. By the way before someone goes a tries to think for me, on what I said I was speaking from my experience and the experience of black people I know. I am not incenuating that the broke people are only black.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:30 AM on May. 14, 2010

• oh I know that in the STORE the unhealthy stuff is cheaper than the healthiest stuff. I am talking about Fast food restaurants. The most expensive healthy stuff in a store that you cook is cheaper than fast food and restaurants. I am at a complete loss purple. really am. We were broke and I wasnt depresses and ate a lot. You dont have money you DONE eat a lot because there isnt the money to buy the crap. Ok THIS may be where I start to get pissed about personal responsibility :) Sooo are you on WIC purple? I DEF remember the videos waiting for WIC checks. And I remember being given lots of pamphlets when I was on FS......I didnt find the least bit interesting/helpful. Did you get those? Did you find THEM helpful/useful?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:31 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I don't think people on foodstamps lack education especially in this economy! I'm not on food stamps and am grateful for that, but it is annoying that lard ass Joy Behar is saying this. Who is she anyways? How did she get her own show?
    I think it is really expensive to eat healthy, organic foods. Also, you have to buy meat in bulk if you want organic meat and a farmer is not going to take foodstamps. Somebody on foodstamps probably couldn't afford to fork over that much money at a time anyways. Futhermore, eating healthy is common sense! You don't need a PHD to know what is healthy and what is unhealthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on May. 14, 2010

• When we first got married we were broke and we would buy a case (24 boxes) of mac n cheese at Aldi for $6.00. There is no way I could have bought 24 other meals for that amount. Until you've been in the position were you have to walk around the store putting stuff back because you can't afford it, then I don't think you should judge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on May. 14, 2010

• purplebutterfly.......what is the comparison between broke and lazy.....did'nt you say your were on food stamps? How can one person on food stamps call another one anything....just curious?
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:34 AM on May. 14, 2010