Graduating from sidewalk to road

This is more of a "just out of curiosity" thing, as my son is way too young now, but I'm curious, at what age are you guys allowing your kids to ride their bikes in the road instead of the sidewalk?

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 12:24 AM on May. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Both of my boys took a bike /road safety class last summer they are 12 and 9, They stay on the sidewalk as much as possible but in some areas they have to use the road since not all the streets here have sidewalks. They only go in the street in our neighborhood, They do not get out on the main roads not even in the bike lane, I dont know when I would feel comfortable with that honestly.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:58 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Once they've passed their cycling proficiency test... which I think will be in many years to come. Until then not on your life would i let them, then again I think that it really does depend on the road system around where you live. Perhaps if it is alot quieter than where I live it would be easier to let them...
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:26 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Never. The road is for cars not for children on bikes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on May. 14, 2010

• 15...lol...

around here it is all country roads maybe a few cars an hour...so not much to worry about... but I still probably wont let them until they are ALOT older ( like 12) ..that being with me not out there with them..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:45 AM on May. 14, 2010

• well mine don't really bike, but my middle son roller blades and he stays on the sidewalk mostly. i would be ok with them biking in the road on our street though since we live on a quiet street in military housing on base.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:14 AM on May. 14, 2010

• We live in an urban area so that day will never come. Bikes don't belong in the roads around here.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:53 AM on May. 14, 2010

• 9
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:54 PM on May. 14, 2010