Im having trouble potty training my 2 year old

We started her @ 18 months and she was well on her way. I work monday through saturday and my mother was watching and training her pretty well. She was letting us know when she had to go poo poo and pee pee but now thursday thru sat. shes with a babysitter and her whole potty training is out of wack and its driving me crazy. Now when shes with me, she wont sit on the potty even if im going too! She most of the time refuses to go potty and stiffins up when I try to sit her down on the potty. Im fustrated and dont know what to do. I tried the sticker thing as a reward thing and she decorates her potty section in the restroom but she doesnt tell us anymore when she has to go and is always struggling with us to go. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We've been through regressions like these. Most recently with out little one who was also telling us whenever she needed to go (for about a week straight, at 18 months). It took awhile to bounce back from that. At first I was frustrated because I KNEW she knew how to do it, so I'm sure my frustration showed. Then we just started taking her periodically, helping her stay dry, making sure there was NO negativity whatsoever... and we introduced a new reward... the jelly bean. We were avoiding rewards, especially food ones, but it did seem to make a difference. It helped that we gave them to her big sister also (who has been trained for awhile) and my husband and I both took one, too, when we used the potty. She started wanting to sit and try to go just for the bean, and then soon enough she was happy enough to go whenever we suggested it, and soon after that she was back to telling us again. I'm sure you know already (...)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:46 AM on May. 14, 2010

• (...) a big part of this has to be consistency. Is the sitter on board? Can you have a long talk about the things you want her to do? It's important that everyone caring for her keeps more-or-less the same system. Last thing I'd say is stick with it. She has shown you she can do it, now you just have to help her get back on track. I felt so tempted to back track because the messes were difficult, but now at 20 months our little one is trained and, although we may see another minor regression here and there, I think it's here to stay. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:48 AM on May. 14, 2010