How can I get my two year old to use the potty?

She knows when she is wet or dirty and knows how to sit on the potty, but she never uses it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait. I guarantee you, she won't go to kindergarten in diapers.

Or, stop using diapers. Use cloth training pants or panties. More clean up and laundry for you, but feels yucky to her. After a while, she'll probably decide to use the potty to avoid the yuck.

Trying to force it, though, tends to be counterproductive.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:41 AM on May. 14, 2010

• She won't go to kindergarten in diapers. True enough, because she can't. I don't personally adhere to the child-led approach. I trained my daughters (forced it? I guess so) at 18-19 months and they rose to the occasion, but while I've heard plenty of stories of three or four year-olds who were finally "ready" and so they trained themselves in a day, there are plenty of kids who have all sorts of issues if you wait too long -- stool refusal is a major problem for many kids who train after 2.5. But mostly... a 3 year-old in diapers? I have a 3 year-old and that seems like the most absurd, unnatural thing to me... Disposable diapers have allowed this late training thing to get totally out of hand. That said, you just have to set clear expectations -- ditch the diapers, we're using the potty from now on -- and be loving and patient as you help her learn. Move her to the potty each time she goes, she'll get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on May. 14, 2010