Why do people do this?

I recently found out that I have a very rare eye disease,,,and I have to get a cornea transplant to fix it. I have these certain eye drops that seem to help and I am wearing magnifying clip ons over my bifoculs to see with at work..People have approached me with,,,:you think you have it bad,,,well I have this eye problem,,,and they where talking about floaters,,,,or their grandpa and his eye problems. Why do people do that? I dont get it,,,Im not trying to get attention,,,Im showing up for work everyday and doing my whole shift,,no excuses,,,why do people do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think its low self-confidence. They feel like they have to one up everyone,to feel special.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:58 AM on May. 14, 2010

• cos they're morons
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 2:04 AM on May. 14, 2010

• "magnifying clip on bifocals' How embarrassing! You're lucky that's all they say to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on May. 14, 2010

• they think they are cheering you up with all the things you don't have wrong LOL. It's like birth stories, they get harder, longer, fiftenn miles in the snow with 30 second contractions hauling a tractor. Here's what you do - when someone starts that sort of thing " you think you've got it bad my mother...." let them say their piece and then just say "okay you win" with a shrug of your shoulders. It points out they've turned it into a competition, and that you aren't going to throw the ball back.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:40 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Or you could just act like you can't hear them. And just walk away. It's childish. But, who cares. Then you don't have to listen to their stories. Maybe they think they are cheering you up. People are weird when they don't know what to say, but feel the need to say something.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:50 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Yea, I agree with the PP... Maybe they just don't know what to say, and they're trying to be sympathetic, and do it in the only way they can relate.

It sucks though, I know.
    MrsDex

Answer by MrsDex at 8:17 AM on May. 14, 2010

• yeah, i agree that maybe some are just trying to be sympathetic..but then there are the idiots that feel they have it far worse than anyone else and they must tell you how your problem is nothing compared to what they've been through.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:48 AM on May. 14, 2010