How can I get my almost 4 month old daughter to sleep through the night?

For like 2 weeks she was sleeping through the night and then all of a sudden, she started waking up in the very early morning. I am so over tired that i find myself falling asleep through out the day, and thats bad cuz i have a 3 year old son as well. Please moms, I know you have the answer, you guys have helped me with every problem ive had so far. Thanks

Kable0120

Asked by Kable0120 at 1:56 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 month olds are supposed to wake up every four hours to be fed. Have his bottle/bf/etc ready for when your baby wakes up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on May. 14, 2010

• This one, there is no answer but TIME. She will do it on her own when she is good and ready. Anything you do will only make you feellike you're doing something; it will matter not a whit.

Someone will tell you cereal in her bottle. NO. That's a choking risk.

Someone will tell you cry it out. Sorry, too early per the advocates of the method. No sooner than six to nine months.

Here's what you do. Dump anything not needed for survival for the time being. She weill change her schedule constantly. Best bet is to conserve your energy. If not doing something means someone will keel over DEAD, then do it. But if no one is gonna die from yuou not doing a thing...then leave it undone. DAD can do it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:01 AM on May. 14, 2010

• u don't. that's life w/ a 4mo old. she could be having a growth spurt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on May. 14, 2010

• well DAD isnt here right now, hes in the army, so I have to do everything myself. and rice cereal in the bottle, ive been doing that at night for almost 2 months and it doesnt seem to do anything. I just need a whole nights sleep. ( I say that and its 11:10 at night and Im on the computer) lol
    Kable0120

Answer by Kable0120 at 2:07 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I just need a whole nights sleep. ( I say that and its 11:10 at night and Im on the computer) lol

You'll feel better tomorrow. if you could at least have 3-4 hours straight of sleep is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 14, 2010

• you've been putting rice cereal in her bottle since she was 1 month old and a half months old? She's a baby, she's supposed to cry at night, she isn't designed to go all night long without a drink ( and she shouldn't be haven't solids at all yet.. but that's another story) . The cold fact is your her Mommy and it isn't her fault Daddy is away and there is a 3 yr old in the house. You have to get up to her, snooze on the couch during the day, ask a friend to watch the kids so you can sleep, but the most Moms are dog tired, over worked and exhausted. You aren't the only one, feeding her up with cereal is selfish and lazy. If you got two weeks of her sleep through, you are one of the lucky few!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on May. 14, 2010

• you're the same Mom who whined about your 3 month old wanting to be held. Why did you have her if she's so inconvenient? Grow up and be the mommy instead of whining. You might not have asked for a high needs baby, but she didn't ask for you either. Take some responsibility and look after your child You don't just need a whole nights sleep, you already had two weeks of that and you're whining again already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on May. 14, 2010

• A whole night's sleep? **grin** Let me share my mom's wisdom: Once you have a child, three hours IS a full night! Even when they sleep through, it's forever something! (Even in her 70s she never did get more than a couple of hours at a time...always something!)

Since dad is away...feel freer to let things wait. Really. It's self defense. There honestly is no way to make a baby sleep...the harder you try, the less they will. The good news is that this won't last.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:53 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Wait until she is 3 years old, or maybe 4. Having a baby changes every thing! I haven't slept through the night in over 20 years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:18 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Shes a newborn, she shouldntbe given cereal yet. cereal is meant to be fed by spoon, if she cant take it by spoon, shes too young for it. dont do that anymore. it doesnt do anything. and her digestive system isnt developed all the way yet to even handle it.

at 4 months she could definitely be going through a growth spurt which means less sleep, more crying or fussing, and eating more. that will pass my dd slept through the night from the get go but during these growth spurts she didnt and i was TIRED!

OR she may just be changing up her schedule. its normal either way and just something you need to work with. sleep when she sleeps in the day, if dads away let the cleaning go for a while. he wont know....
    you could try giving her a bath before bed time with the lavender scent in it to relax her feed her and then try putting her to bed make her comfortable.
    but its normal for a young baby not to sleep through the night
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:50 AM on May. 14, 2010