Bullies... I need some advice!

So my daughter is 6 yrs old, in kindergarten. She has this girl in her class that is rude to her, when my daughter chooses not to be her friend! She calls my daughter weird and pushes her down at recess. My daughter told me that this girl, walks around and tells everyone that they have to be her friend because she is popular! She is a beefier little girl, who I can see as kind of a tom boy kinda girl! Im a little worried though, I dont know exactly what to tell my daughter to do! I told her to tell her teacher, but when she tells her teacher she says that the teacher tells her to let the other girl be. Ive room momed in the class before and this "bully" is the teachers pet, have to know everything and be rude to others. I just dont know what to do or what to tell my daughter, how should I tell her to handle this? Have your children been in this situation before? What advice could you share? Please help!

sxc_mom_of2

Asked by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:36 AM on May. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Also.. My daughter mentioned that she has told a few of her friends that I sing to her before she goes to bed at night... and thats one thing why the bully girl says that my daughter is weird, but my daughter wants me to continue singing to her! Kids can be so damn rude!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:38 AM on May. 14, 2010

• i may come off rude, but i would march my butt in that classroom and tell the teacher exactly what you just wrote here.Im not gonna let no teachers pet bully boss my kid around.Tell the teacher you are concerned about this situation, and if you see no improvement talk to the principal, and have your daughter change class rooms
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:39 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Good idea! I just am worried that nothing would get done about it if I talk to the teacher, however like you said, if nothing changes, I can go to the principal! :) School is almost out for my daughter, about a week and a half left, but its better to talk to the teacher now than never right? Thanks!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:41 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I agree with PP. My Mom had this problem with my sis before. Tell the teacher boldly that This behavior will not be tolerated and if it continues you will be forced to speak with the principle against the childs attitude towards your child and the teacher not protecting your child. That should scare her into shaping up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I cannot believe bullying is starting at such a young age that is just sad. I would go to your daughter's school immediately. I would want to speak to the teacher and also to the principle. Does nobody see your daughter being pushed at recess? Who is watching the children at that time? What I think should happen is that the parents of that bullying girl should be brought into school and told what is going on. It starts at home if she is bullying in school, then I wonder what she does at home. My heart goes out to your little girl. This will effect ones self esteem so this needs to be stopped now.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:40 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I believe that you are overreacting and that the most important thing for you to do is to teach your child that this problem is not even worthy of her attention. She is not in any danger and she is not being harmed but by reacting to this tactic and giving the bully a pay off she is setting herself up to be a target for bullying in the future. Focus on teaching her how to respond (generally to not respond) when this happens, how to seek out a broader circle of friends and how to focus on the important aspects of school.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 8:51 AM on May. 14, 2010

• my dd has been through this... she is now 11. i have been to the school with no resolve.of course the girl is the teachers pet .. even at 6 these kids know how to play it.believe me i wouldnt go to the parents either. the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. not always but most of the time.anti bullying is bull crap. we ended up going to the principal then going onto the superintendent of schools.i wouldnt go to the teacher.i find them usually not to be very helpful..(nothing against teachers they have a hard job)eventually we were blackballed from the school. the school thera[ist ended up telling all the other teachers and then blaming this on my dd.
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 10:03 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Be room mom again, and when you see that girl, tell her to LEAVE YOUR DAUGHTER ALONE. And if she runs home crying to tell her mommy, give her mommy an ear full too!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:41 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I have faced this same issue before with my older daughter,and now again with my younger girl.I went straight to the principle and told him I would not tolerate this anymore and was going to arm my kids with the tools to defend themselves.If that meant they had to bully back then fine!!Now on Monday I will do the same song and dance with this new teachers pet bully.These kids need to have a taste of their own medicine. Suzy sunshine if your kid was coming home crying everyday would you just brush it under the rug with cheer then?Kids need protection and guidance that is why they are called children.Some kids are stronger than others.Mine happen to be soft hearted and have been taught to love everyone.Treat everyone with respect and kindness,even the weaker less beautiful or fortunate.Bullies should be dealt with,even if it means removing them from public schools and forcing the parents to deal with their bratty kids.
    Anonymous

• Go to the principal. There's a girl in my daughter's class who doesn't help her clean up their area or the toys if they were playing together, another girl is always playing with my daughter's hair and wanting to sit with her on the bus but my daughter always sits with her friend Jovanni and this other girl makes my daughter feel guilty about only sitting with the boys (when Jovanni is absent my daughter will sit with either Jayden or Anthony). I ask my daughter to tell the teacher but she says when she tells these girls she's going to tell on them they beg her not to and she gives in. I worry because she's always been sort of a push over, the exact opposite of my other daughter, and one of the neighborhood kids (an 8 year old girl) is always being mean and rude to my girls but they get mad at me when I tell the other girl to go home for not listening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on May. 15, 2010