What can you LEGALLY do about bullies?

My 14 year old is allowed a facebook with my supervision. There are kids at school who bully her. She was tagged in a photo earlier and some kids from her school(not on her friends list) commented on it and called her some terrible things. By the time I saw it four of them were teasing and saying awful things to her. One after the other jumped in to bully her. I saw the whole conversation. She didn't start this at all and her come backs weren't even mean. She says this happens at school too. Can I take legal action to make sure it stops for good? She has been crying in her room for about 2 hours now. Nothing I say is helping. She WONT stick up for herself no matter how many times I tell her too. She doesnt have a mean bone in her body and sadly that bothers me 'cause she doesnt know how to protect herself... Any Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Call a lawyer. Seriously. An attorney can tell you what's possible in your state. Also call the school and find out what policies are in place regarding bullying...some schools practice zero tolerance.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:49 AM on May. 14, 2010

• well here in South Carolina one incident of cyber bulling is a state crime that could result in legal action. Print it out cause you have proof and call around.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:21 AM on May. 14, 2010

• If they didn't touch her, I don't see what they did wrong... And depending on what state you are in it most likely isn't a crime to call people names... on or off line. Teach your daughter to grow a back bone and stand up for herself. Bullies can't bully unless you let them!
    Anonymous

• I'd contact FB and see what you can do. As for school, there are Bully Laws. I'd make sure they were enforced.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:25 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Laws against bullying? Is it really illegal to call someone a mean name on facebook? Wow, you can get arrested for anything in america now...
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:45 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I don't think that she is talking about just name-calling... it seems like it is an on-going- thing. Dont bash until you have been there. My step son gets bullied ALL the time and it is NO easy task to take care of. Ppl on here are so quick to hate. jeez.
    Anonymous

• I would go talk to the principal or the guidance counselor... He/she can get the other kids' parents involved. They may not even know what their "little angels" are doing. Also, the school should know if it's happening on their premises so they can watch out for it.
    BTW, don't forget to copy & save the page somewhere BEFORE getting started with this... don't give them the chance to delete it!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:20 AM on May. 15, 2010

• See the section on Teenagers  here http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html.  Link for information about Bullying also Cyber bullying

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:34 PM on May. 15, 2010

• Some of these answers are ridiculous! I guess you're unaware of teenage suicide...due to bullying. To include cyber bullying! It makes me tend to believe your kids are the bullies! btw - to the anon @ 2:23....grow a 'backbone' & step away from the anon button!
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 2:32 PM on May. 16, 2010