do you give your kids candy?

i let my daughter have a little piece of candy a few times a day. she is 20 months and she eats like a bird. pick pick pick. for her meals she eats pretty healthy, and for snacks she likes string cheese, yogurt, crackers...stuff like that. she still nurses quite often so i am not worried about her nutrition. but i do let her have a few cookies or a little bit of sweet stuff for a treat. dont worry i brush her teeth several time a day. do you give your kids any kind of candy or soda or whatever? if so how much and if not, why? where you allowed this stuff as a child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I give my son "junk" food and candy I don't know how often though. Whether it is a piece of a cake I bake, left over Easter candy, chocolate milk whatever. He eats healthy but I also don't deprive him of sweets. Hey your only a kid once. The only thing I don't do is soda I have let him have a sip here and there but that is it. I also do not allow him to have anything sweet after 6. He gets a cup of tea with his dinner and that's it.

I wouldn't say everyday but I wouldn't say only once a week either.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:17 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I was a sugar FIEND when i was little.. still am lol
    Luckily i dont have any cavities or anything.

ive given my daughter a lollipop once lol. shes 1 1/2. i dont give her a lot of sweets like candy sugar, soda chips or anything, because i think she has a great appetite and loves healthy foods and idont want to chance it and get her hooked on bad foods. its just a way to teach her good eating habits in my opinion.

its also not good to brush their teeth several times a day because all the sugar and junk thats in junk food gets stuck on their enamel and when you brush their teeth with it on their teeth, your slowly brushing away the enamel and whiteness of their teeth. same with adults.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:37 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Every once in a while I will let my kids have sweets. My 7 yr old will eat a little candy or one cookie and then stop. My 2 yr old though will keep eating sweets until I stop her. When I was a kid my grandpa would regularly supply me with candy including on the day he died. I love sweets as much as my 2 yr old, but for the last few years I have been careful about not keeping sugary treats in the house because I am pre-diabetic and my dh is diabetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Wait, you shouldn't brush your teeth because it brushes away the enamel? I haven't heard that before. My dentist said it was plaque, acids, and bacteria that were eating away at it. Hmm, learn something new every day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Toddlers should never have soda, they should drink water. If they are normal weight they may have 4 oz juice a day, more if underweight and the doctor says it's okay. Candy several times a day is never okay. Besides the candy being bad, it's not good for the child's blood sugar levels.

Breastfeeding doesn't mean you can give a child anything to eat. La Leche League promotes giving toddlers healthy foods, not candy or soda. There are so many things to feed a toddler there is no reason to be giving such poor choices. My grandson is the same age and he has never had soda or anything close and had a little candy on Easter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on May. 14, 2010

• brushing your teeth throughout the day while eating junk foods containing the acid and bacteria can eat away the enamel. like you shouldnt eat a lemon and drink some soda then right after brush your teeth.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:53 AM on May. 14, 2010

• So if you do slip up and eat junk food, how are you supposed to get it off of your teeth if you're not supposed to brush it? It seems like not brushing and leaving it there would be a pretty poor choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Well, I think I will go with what my dentist says and continue to brush my teeth regularly. Been doing that for years and haven't had a cavity for years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on May. 14, 2010

• idk thats just wat my dentist said .......
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:37 AM on May. 14, 2010

• well i let my nine month old suck on licherish and she was fine and she dont have bad teeth or anything......so why do ppl say that even once a month is bad if its not like the kid is getting it everyday???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 AM on May. 14, 2010