Whose responsibility is it?

My DH will leave things in his pants pockets when he puts them in the dirty laundry. He thinks I should check LL the pants pockets (and shirt ones too) in our house when doing laundry. I have a ton of laundry and am usually in a hurry when putting it in the wash. I have 4 kids (13, 5, 3, & 1 yr). I personally think you should empty your own pockets before putting your clothes in the dirty hamper. A receipt for work got washed in his pants yesterday and he was mad this morning about it. he said "Because YOU never check pockets before washing clothes!" A few minutes later he said it was his fault. I don't know if that was just to keep the peace or what. So who do you think the responsibility falls on??

SoniaL

Asked by SoniaL at 8:20 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No question... His pants, his responisbility.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:21 AM on May. 14, 2010

• responsibility
    neebug3766

• I tell every one that they HAVE to clean out their pockets before the hit the dirty hamper. I also tell them that what ever I find is MINE to keep. They do pretty good about cleaning their pockets, but I have gotten in the habit of checking EVERY pocket as I add the piece into the washer. If you get in the habit of it, it really only takes a couple extra seconds and it won't seem so hard to check pockets, it will just become second nature.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:23 AM on May. 14, 2010

• My DH is really good about emptying his pants pockets, but the kids are horrible at it. It only took one crayon in the dryer to convince me that I needed to check pockets. I don't think it's "right," but I don't want clothes or the dryer ruined so I check. I also confiscate anything I find in the pockets :)

It's really not your fault the receipt got washed, if it were that important he should have out it in a safe place.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:23 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Probably his... but I always check pockets and such before. But I also don't have 3 kids and a teenager (they're a breed all their own lol!)... I learned my lesson when I washed a pen in my husbands cammies and the dryer got stained.

I'd make him start checking, or he could wash his own stuff haha.
    MrsDex

Answer by MrsDex at 8:24 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Here's one way to get him to empty his pockets and those of your kids as they get older. Anything find I ( especially money) is mine. Most things I will give back after much negotiation.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:24 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I agree that it is HIS responsibility, although I still have not been able to get my husband to empty his own dang pockets!! He keeps all kinds of important things in there for work, so I can't just wash it to "prove a point" or I would LOL
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:26 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I never check pockets period. The rule here is your clothes your pockets. Any money found in the washer or dryer is my tip for washing clothes period. Oldest lost 25 one day.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:53 AM on May. 14, 2010

• pagirl71: $25!! ouch! lol
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:11 AM on May. 14, 2010