• In the Spotlight:

What should I do with my preschool drop out?

My daughter decided she is done with preschool. She has a few weeks left.
This week she cried most the morning and we sat outside her classroom during class while she cried.
There doesn't seem to be a reason of why?
Should I make her go, or not worry about it because it is almost done.
She is excited about kindergarten, and walked right in to her screening this week.
Thanks :)

grace2joy

Asked by grace2joy at 8:52 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That seems to be very common with kids at the end of the school year. They get end of year burn-out!

My school age kids are 11, and 6, and I've seen it every year not only with my kids but with other kids at school. I bet if you ask the teachers, they'll say that other kids are going through the same thing right now. I think you should keep sending her even though she doesn't really want to go. If you let her drop out now, she'll likely continue that trend year-after year.

Good Luck!! I'm ready for Summer break too, so I can empathize with your DD!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:11 AM on May. 14, 2010

• is there something at home that she would rather be at home with? other kids already out of school or you are at home for the summer from work? I could understand her crying. If thats the case i would let her stay..if not then i would make her go.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:23 AM on May. 14, 2010

• She's going to be in school until she's at least 18. Give the child a break and a vacation from it.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:27 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Kiwi was the same, she was wanting to quit preschool since January, but we were still making her go. She would beg to stay home almost everyday, saying she likes home better. Then in early March we had to take her out for the rest of the year following heart surgery. At first, she was happy, then she started getting bored, talking about how much she missed her friends, and teachers. She tells me now she is sometimes sad she had to leave school. I'd keep her home for a day or two, but not make it a fun experience, no tv, limited free play time, and such, then if she still cries, it's obviously not the fun home time she's wanting. If she still wants to stay home, I'd let her, the years almost over. Just make sure she knows that crying won't get her out of Kindergarten.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:16 AM on May. 14, 2010

• there msut be soem one there she is mad at. It will pass and besides pre-school is for babies and she is going to start kindergarten so she may be feeling a little superior and not needing to go to pre-school
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:42 AM on May. 14, 2010