Iinfant reflux: what worked for you?

here is what we have tried so far:

my son is 6 weeks.

tried all of the enfamil products - currently using gentlease
burp him every ounce
keep upright 30 min after eating
zantac- i personally don't think its helping
gripe water - seems to help some of the time

he is still spits up when burping, smells like acid on his breath, drools clear liquid hours after eating

***what worked for you and your baby?****

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 8:59 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All 3 of mine had reflux. I breastfed.

My 3rd was the only bad enough that she needed medicine. She was on prescription disolving Prevacid and it worked wonders. The others just out grew it. My pediatrician said that best food for a reflux baby is breast milk, so I breastfed all of them as long as possible.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:39 AM on May. 14, 2010

• the zantac didn't help my baby either....he was on similac sensitive rs until he was around 6 months old...the added rice in the formula helped he grew out of it some he oly spits up from reflux every now and then GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:41 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Oh, wanted to add that gripe water made my baby vomit. So, I stopped using it. Some research shows that the baking soda in it interferes with baby's natural electrolyte balance and can be potentially dangerous.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:42 AM on May. 14, 2010

• How long has he been on the zantac? It took a couple weeks for it to start working on my daughter. The zantac doesn't make them stop spitting up, it just makes it less painful. There are other medicines too if the zantac doesn't work. Good luck, I know how hard having a reflux baby is, but it does get better eventually.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:45 AM on May. 14, 2010

• my youngest had reflux bad her first year. She was on adult strength Zantac for 3-4 months which stopped working then went on prevacid (adult strength) for the 8 months following it. We also had to keep her meals small, upright for an 30-45 minutes after eating and not allow her to get to the point where she was crying hard. Also rice cereal at 6 weeks.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:59 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I'm so sorry :( I remember those days like it was yesterday. My daughter had reflux for the first four or five months of life. Zantac helped us tremendously though, and Prosobee helped.

The thing that made her reflux disappear completely was solid food. She started simple baby food once or twice a week around four months. By six months she was eating three 2nd stage jars a day. By then, her reflux had pretty much gone away. I think the heaviness that the solid food provided helped her to keep it down.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:20 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Prevacid and Reglan. Prevacid on its own helped some, but adding the Reglan took the symptoms away almost completely. Zantac didn't work at all for us.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:03 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Breastmilk. Have you considered relactating to help relieve baby of his pain?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 14, 2010

• ******Go to Similac.com and see what formula they recommend for reflux. Buy the pre-made liquid NOT the powder. I highly recommend Similac. Again buy the liquid not the powder. It may be your WATER causing the reflux. I would also stop the over the counter meds and gripe water. Keep up with the burping. My friend originally used powder formula and she had the same problem until she switched to Similac liquid (I forget which one but It was specifically for reflux) and she used the liquid like me ONLY.
    Anonymous

• I exclusively breastfed my youngest son and he had reflux. I propped the head of his crib up with a phone book and propped him up 30 minutes after eating. Try taking your baby to a chiropractor. They are wonderful with babies, and can fix problems like these.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:36 PM on May. 14, 2010