My daughter is 7 months old and I breastfeed. Problem is she won't sleep through the whole night. What can I do to get her to sleep through the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breast feed and mine is 14 months he still doesn't sleep through the night. In my case I am his pacifier. Sometimes teething. Or you could try some cereal before bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 14, 2010

• She's hungry. You have to feed her. There is no trick to getting a baby under 15 months to not get hungry in the middle of the night. You just have to wait it out until your baby's digestive system gets mature enough that she no longer gets hungry at night. despite what some parent centered books say, it is common for many babies to get hungry at night all the way up to 18 months. If your baby is hungry, feed her then go back to bed. (I've been through this with 3 BF babies. This too shall pass).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:28 AM on May. 14, 2010

• feed her solids. thats the ONLY thing that will put her to sleep and make her stay asleep....they wake up cause they are hungry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Most babies do not sleep threw the night wether they BF or bottle feed. If the baby feeds then goes back to sleep...that is also considered sleeping threw the night isnce they do not get up(yes some babies do) for a few hours. Just BF and be happy dont let anyone tell you what you or your baby should or should not be doing.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:53 AM on May. 14, 2010

• It is normal for a baby to not sleep through the night. Try co-sleeping; you can doze or sleep while baby snacks.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:52 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Solids do NOT make them sleep. Been there done that...he woke MORE. Eliminated before bed solids, he woke less...but still woke. Because that's what they're programmed to do.

The only thing you can do? WAIT. That's it. She has to grow into it. Nothing you do will change a thing if she's not ready to sleep dusk to dawn...which by the way is not sleeping through the night. Five hours is.

Dusk to dawn often doesn't occur for a year or more. No matter how you feed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I was in your shoes, my DD didn't sleep thru the night until about 12 months. At 7 months she was still waking at least once a night, often twice a night to nurse. Gradually over the next several months it lessened to once at night and then not at all. Anyway, one thing I heard is to make sure she is getting enough to eat all day long, not just right before bed time. So make sure she is nursing well all day, and start introducing solids as well, and not just at dinner in hopes it will keep her full all night, you can give it to her throughout the day. Otherwise, you just have to keep nighttime nursing until she outgrows the need. Maybe pump a bottle or two so your DH could help out once or twice a week and let you sleep thru. I know it's tiring but it won't last forever. One day you will wake up and look at the clock and think "why hasn't she cried?" Just try to hang in there because it's really worth it for your DD.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:32 PM on May. 14, 2010

• The vast majority of babies do not sleep "through the night" (eight hours). If you get 4 or 5 hours, a wake up to eat/change, then back to sleep THAT is a healthy normal sleeping pattern. Not even adults sleep straight through without waking...a lot of us just don't remember waking unless we get up to pee, or get a drink, or take off our socks. most of the time we roll over and go back to sleep. Sleeping patterns don't really settle into a consistent pattern until age three or four. Besides, you wouldn't want a breastfed baby to sleep too long...you wouldn't sleep well because you'd be worried and engorged! :)

Another tip is to not to put a baby to bed too early especially if not tired! A baby who is put to bed to early seems to wake more often, but they aren't really, it is just that their sleep time is not in sync with yours.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:35 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Solids won't help. Honestly, she's probably not ready. My son ate in the night until about 14 months. We started out with me refusing the first feed, then eventually the second, etc, until we finally made it through the night. I offered him water instead, and sometimes he took it, sometimes not. Are you co-sleeping? We did (still do for part of the night), and I slept topless while he was night feeding, for the sake of ease. I started wearing a shirt to bed when I started the night weaning, to keep the smell down (babies can smell your breasts a mile away!), and to keep them from being readily available for latching. At her age, however, I wouldn't recommend night weaning unless SHE initiates it. (I'm a lactation specialist, also.)
    He does still wake a night, and he's almost 21 months. Some kids just don't sleep through the whole night for awhile.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:53 AM on May. 16, 2010