• In the Spotlight:

do you think people on public assistance have changed?

Let me get more specific. I myself think because of hard economic times its alot more common for those hard working americans to be on public assitance then just those that do not want to work. Public assistance is temporary. I am not saying that noone cheats the system or they get too comfortable and there are those that do not want to ever get off. but i think some really use it the right way. anyone else feel that way? please no bashing. just something i have observed

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yep! I agree!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:19 AM on May. 14, 2010

• the fact that you think because of the economic downturn there are more hardworking people on assistance, is actually very insulting to those that have always been hard working. i have worked full time since i was 16, and have usually always been on public assistance in one way or another. there are just more "middle class" people on it now. this recent downturn has actually opened peoples eyes to the fact that there really is no middle class anymore, you are either rich or poor. welcome to my world, where i work hard to get what money i can, and when i get a quarter raise, the medicaid office tells me i make too much money to get any type of healthcare, but if i wanted to stay at home and sit on my ass, i would be more than welcome to it. the problem with the system is the system itself more than poeple abusing it. i know very few who have abused it. its hard to even get help these days. not bashing, just stating my opinion.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 9:49 AM on May. 14, 2010

• At this point I'd love to know someone like that. Everyone I know who is on it does not need it. They lie on the forms they fill out, spend their money on clothes, movies, eating out and running around. I've lost hope that those who actually do need it ever get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 14, 2010

• "i would be more than welcome to it. the problem with the system is the system itself more than poeple abusing it."

I agree with that. I've been "stuck in the system" since my DH passed away two years ago. I'm grateful that it has helped me (and my 3 very little ones) make ends meet, but at the same time, I can't get out of it and on my feet again. There is a catch 22 at every turn once you get on. Unless you have a financial wind-fall to just start you, you'll never be ahead enough to just walk away (if you have young kids. If you are a single adult that is a different story.) The system is set up so that you become dependant on it.  

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I agree with the pp's the problem with public assistance isn't the people on it, but the system people that don't need and shouldn't get it have it but those who actually need it never get the help they actually need.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:59 AM on May. 14, 2010

• My husband lost his job 6 months ago. Fortunately he is back at work. During his unemployment we did get unemployment benefits and for the first time in my life we went into the Health and Human services office mainly for health insurance as we could not afford Cobra. We were turned down for everything except for insurance for the children. We were turned down on the basis that we had 2 cars and were told we could sell them. I was unsure how we could work without vehicles in a rural area of Texas, but that was how they put it.

I know that in a million years I would not have thought to get on public assistance, but we had to try just to survive the last few months. I had a rude awaking and realized that people were probably lying to get the assistance, because at least in Texas you practically have to be homeless to get much help.

I am glad that my husband is back at work and this is behind me. I hope that things will change
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 14, 2010

• jeanniegirl has it right.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:19 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I agree.. my dh is hard working always has been.were in the poor class still we managed to scrape by then we reached middle class YAY and bought our 1st home. then life happened,not really the ecomony but personal things like vehicles breaking down that cost us 1000's in the last 2 years.can't get to work an hour away it you don't have a ride,we had to fix it which put us in a financial bind , put us behind. since it has been hard to get back on track .,so we had sign up for foodstamps to get by. I never thought we have to do that.It has been 9 months and I really hate that we are still on them. We said we would do it for 6 months and that was it,because we believe it should not be a lifestyle but a temporary help only .but with inexpected things popping up.here we still are.I would love to just not go the resert in a few months and let them cancel them and be done with it, but we will see if that is possible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 14, 2010

• im 21, as far as i know nobody im associated with was on public assistance. when i got pregnant i had to go on food stamps and medicaid. something i never thought id do. my bf talked me into applying, or i never would have even thought about doing it. almost everyone he knows who has kids gets medicaid and food stamps and has a free government issued cell phone...wow i cant believe some people. i didnt grow up in privilege but i cant believe how different our cultures are.
    Anonymous

• i agree with jeanniegirl i worked for 12 yrs as a single mother to provide what i could for my kids. rarely at first getting child support. when i got to much child support which may of happened once in many many yrs i would loose my benefits and had to reapply. the system should patrol those who really abuse it. i think there are some that lie and never work and still get assistance but i think that number is very low and that you opinion of whose on it is off.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:49 PM on May. 14, 2010