starting potty training..but.....

my son is ready to potty train, buuuuuut today we have plans to be out of the house for like an hour, sunday we have a birthday party and monday is a doctors appointment. I've already kinda started so I'd hate to stop for those occasions...is PT still possible despite the outings all in a row? Or should I definately just halt everything and wait till I have a few days in a row of no plans

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:18 AM on May. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Get a seat that goes over the big potty and take your son to the potty every 30-45 minutes but, keep him in a diaper in case of an accident. That is how I did it with my older kids and we are just in phase one of potty training my 15 month old.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:20 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I bought one of those travel potty seats! I hear some moms put a diaper over underwear for outings at first......
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:27 AM on May. 14, 2010

• When we potty-trained our son, we would put him in a diaper if we had to go out. We would still attempt to take him to the bathroom (with his travel seat) when we got to where we were going, but he generally refused to use public toilets. I honestly can't say I blame him; those seats don't fit very well on the public toilets.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:33 AM on May. 14, 2010

• We put our boys in undies and just made sure we brought change of pants, socks etc. They need to learn to go with the flow no pun intended!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:49 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I would take your seat and extra clothes( pants, undies socks and shoes) I would normally have the go when we left and when we got there..depending on the time. At first we used pull up for the car ride. and if we were out for a couple hours but still went to the potty every so often. acciedents will happen you just have to be prepared.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:56 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Also for the birthday party I would use a diaper or something because if they are playing expecially at the begining they will not remember
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:57 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I would wait until you have 3 days to devote solely to potty training. Don't leave the house at all. That's what I did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:50 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I tend to agree with mompam... having a few days to do nothing but potty training really helps. After that, you can take him out and bring your potty ring with you and just be prepared to take him to the potty regularly and also to clean up an accident (both my girls, after only 3 days, were able to use the public restroom with our potty ring if I took them, so they didn't actually have any accidents in public until we were into the phase where they were letting me know reliably that they needed to go, and I relaxed the parent-initiated trips...). If you won't have 3 days in a row anytime soon, I guess you could try to just plan to deal with accidents in public just like at home... It's only a few outings you're talking about. Cover the carseat with plastic and then a towel, just in case. I would avoid the diaper or pull-up... going back and forth sends mixed messages and can be extremely counter-productive.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:08 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Oops, I just noticed that you said you ALREADY started. Then I would just keep it up. Don't do diapers, just be prepared to clean up an accident. You will all survive the outings, even if there are accidents. With my younger daughter, we never did have 3 days totally uninterrupted, so we were often at the pediatrician's office making frequent trips to the restroom to try... He should do fine. but do limit the outings when you can, so he can get comfortable with the routine at home.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:10 AM on May. 14, 2010

• If you're just starting, I'd wait until you're not going to be out and about so much. Otherwise, you're just asking for messes and dirty clothes. Ugh.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:52 PM on May. 14, 2010