Whats the normal age for babies to start crawling?

My little girl is 8months old, shes sitting good by herself now and playing, clapping, etc... and when she lays on her tummy for tummy time she dosnt seem to enjoy it as much and she wants to sit back up, will she just learn by herself? should i just let her sit when she wants and not put her on her tummy unless she rolls over by herself? Just wondering when shes going to be able to crawl :)

truebloodmommy

Asked by truebloodmommy at 9:25 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's no "normal" age for crawling. She might even skip it completely.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:30 AM on May. 14, 2010

• The "average" age is nine months. The scale of whats normal is like 5 to 13 months (dont quote me on that part im not a hundred percent sure but i know its a gure range). Some infants crawl on the early end (like my son, he was army crawling at 5.5 months and fully crawling well by 6) Some on the later end (i have a friend thats son didnt crawl until he was 12.5 months, and hes perfectly normal) and some never crawl at all. Just go straight to walking. So whats "normal" varies in each child. I wouldnt be concerned in the least bit if my son wasnt crawling. In fact i have 3 friends thats children (3 boys and a girl)and they will be 9 months on the 18th, 21st, and 25th and none of thier little ones crawl. I wouldnt worry....
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:41 AM on May. 14, 2010

• *huge range..lol...
    carsonsmommytam

• Yeah I agree with both the previous post. My friends daughter is 17months and shes already walking but she skipped crawling completely. My son started crawling with his tummy still on the floor when he was about 5 months, and started crawling with his tummy off the floor around 6 months or so.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 10:14 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone; many babies never crawl.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:52 AM on May. 14, 2010

• My son was 9 months, walking by 10 months but my friends daughter is 3 days younger and still isn't walking and she was crawling later then him.... every kid is different
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:29 AM on May. 14, 2010

• She will likely go straight to walking. Lots of babies never crawl.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 PM on May. 14, 2010

• The important thing is getting from point A to point B someway somehow. Crawling is not a milestone and is a pretty complex set of movements and coordination and balance. What does help though is giving opportunities to practice movement. That means lots and lots of floor time and avoid baby containers (exersaucers). If you do use one, the problem with exersaucers is that they keep the baby stationary with toys in arms reach...where is the insentive to move? Where is the opportunity to scoot?

Just put her on the floor :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:43 PM on May. 14, 2010