Obama admin orders execution of US citizen without trial

and people were upset because Bush tapped a few phones?????

"The Obama administration’s decision to authorize the killing by the Central Intelligence Agency of a terrorism suspect who is an American citizen has set off a debate over the legal and political limits of drone missile strikes, a mainstay of the campaign against terrorism.

The notion that the government can, in effect, execute one of its own citizens far from a combat zone, with no judicial process and based on secret intelligence, makes some legal authorities deeply uneasy. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/world/14awlaki.html?hp

How is this not an abuse of power and a violation of due process?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:37 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:37 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Administration officials take the view that no legal or constitutional rights can protect Mr. Awlaki, a charismatic preacher who has said it is a religious duty to attack the United States and who the C.I.A. believes is actively plotting violence.

Sorry, but if that is true, I don't really have a bad feeling towards the execution. In case you didn't notice, that means he hates America and wants it attacked.

wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 10:42 AM on May. 14, 2010

• You missed the question, Wenona: How is this not an abuse of power and a violation of due process?

You do understand what due process is?  I hope you do. 

Even someone committing treason deserves a fair trial.  It's one of our basic constitutional rights. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 14, 2010

• There are quite a few people who are American citizens who sometimes feel negatively against this country. Should we kill them all? This man is an American citizen and should be tried and hanged (if needed) by a jury of his peers. Otherwise, really, noone is safe. What if they suddenly decide everyone who is Christian and white is against America? What is good enough for him, is good enough for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Wenona, you worry me.

Every American citizen deserves a trial. Charles Manson, Timothy McVeigh, etc. Terrible people. They still deserve a fair trial.

I have no problem with execution if found guilty. Execution without a trial makes us barbarians.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:57 AM on May. 14, 2010

• lol OP as long as he is a liberal dem it is ok of course.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I guess Obama has it ass backwards as usual.So let me get this straight he thinks a terrorist of another country deserves the rights of an American citizen but an actual American citizen does not?

HE'S ALL EFFED UP!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 14, 2010

• mancosmomma: I know they should deserve a fair trial, but look how often the legal system lets people go free, and considering a man who calls an attack on us a religious duty, what happens if he goes free and then does the next 9-11? People will say "I didn't even see it coming!.." When there is a plain out threat by a man who makes it clear he wants it to happen, shouldn't that give some leadway for the government? Or would people rather see the next attack?
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 11:01 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Sorry, but if that is true, I don't really have a bad feeling towards the execution. In case you didn't notice, that means he hates America and wants it attacked.

I have to agree. If that is true, squash that rat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on May. 14, 2010

• mancosmama: And your examples of people who deserved the fair trial were all people who made upcoming attacks very clear. And when they destroyed tons of lives, THEN they were tried. And Charles Manson got off easy, BTW.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 11:03 AM on May. 14, 2010