Why does a person repeat themselves?

Someone I know will constantly repeat herself, even if someone tells her you already told us she continues on with her story. It has me so concerned, and it can be so annoying. We could be talking one minute and then by 2 or 3 hours later she will repeat the same thing she told me before. I just don't understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OCD??? Tell her to shut up. No seriously, tune her out. Maybe she's seeking attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Maybe she feels people aren't hearing her.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 14, 2010

• for my mom it was because she had a blockage in the main artery to her brain and she had been having TIAs for years (mini strokes) We thought she had early dementia. I wish I had known there was a medical cause before it was too late to save her. Maybe there is a reason she does it, and maybe she can't help it.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:00 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I know she drinks alcohol and thought maybe this maybe a reason, however she seems completely sober. She will tell me one thing, then tell me 2 hours later, and then if another person joins our conversation she will tell them. Some of her other friends have told me the same thing. I was just really wondering what could possibly be wrong. She is not elderly she is only in her 40's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Maybe she is having a health issue. I would gently remind her...you already told me that...don't you remember? See what she says. Go from there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:34 AM on May. 14, 2010

• At one point she asked did I tell you and I answered yes, then she still continued on with the same story. Others have told me she does the same thing to them. I do not want to be ignorant so I just basically let her keep talking. I cannot think of anything else I can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 14, 2010

• My mom does the same thing but she has a slight case of dementia you just have to kind of ignore it and try to keep the conversation going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 14, 2010