Are you happy with your steam mop??

I thought this would be a great thing to have at my house and the reviews on them were so good, so I bought a Shark Steam Mop and I am really disappointed with it. The pad never seems to get wet enough to do what I need it to do and I find myself having to put some serious elbow grease into it to get it to clean anything at all. I thought the purpose of it was to get your floors cleaned easier without having to use any chemicals? I still find myself having to spray the floor with something or pouring Mr. Clean across the floor before I use it. What am I not doing right? Is it the brand that I have?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 11:22 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Just bought one today and its going back tommorrow I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!used it only the kids bathroom floor and i still think its dirty>
    Mrs.Sparkle

Answer by Mrs.Sparkle at 12:11 AM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I was also very disappointed in the Shark mop... My linoleum is textured slightly, and the pad doesn't get the texture clean, even though it is really minimal texturing.
    So I got a Libman Wonder Mop (about $14 at Target) and I love it. I use about a gallon of water, a cup or 2 of vinegar, and tea tree oil to mop with, and it works great! And still no nasty chemicals :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 8:40 AM on May. 15, 2010

• we have a shark steam mop...but we LOVE IT. it's great to not have to use cleaners and that the pads are washable.

are you pumping it enough, and letting it get warmed up? I will agree that it takes a little work. but if I don't have to use cleaners and such around my 1yr old and our cat, I'm okay with doing a little extra work.

carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:38 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I agree with previous poster. I too have a shark steam mop. I make sure to let it warm up for almost a minute and pump it a few times to get it going really well. I think it works awesome. I was so happy with it I went out and got the portable pocket steamer to do my windows, bathroom tiles on the walls, the tub, shower stall and whatever else I need to clean with. No chemicals needed and I couldn't be happier.
    Anonymous

• I have a Shark Steam mop and love it. I find it very easy to use with minimal effort. I really dont have to 'pump' mine, as it pumps on its own as I go back and forth. I dont have textured floors though...only wood.
    I like it simply because there are no streaks left, it dries almost instantly, no rinsing of mops, stringing water everywhere, no need to buy other floor cleaners...
    I have no complaints!
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 10:39 AM on May. 15, 2010

• I have a Shark steam mop and I don't like it. I got a Wagner 905 power steamer and I love it!! Super easy to use and it gets the floors and everything else really clean. It has soft pads for the floors, but also attachments for grout, glass, etc.  http://www.gleempaint.com/905-power-steamer.html

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:13 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I don't have one, but I LOVE my mom's steam shark. Her house is a little on the icky side (inside dogs, one is a 13 year old incontinent dachshund) and first thing when the kids and I visit, I steam clean her kitchen, then switch to the carpet attachment after I vacuum and do the carpets. My kids are on the couch or in the play pen until this point. She's started doing the kitchen for me now before I get there, so we have a base of operations. It's So quick and easy, and I don't have to worry about the floors or chemicals. I'd love to buy one for myself someday.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 1:16 PM on May. 15, 2010

• I have a steam mop, but it's cheaper than the shark. I think it's great. I love being able to clean my floors with no chemicals and no mop bucket. It just leaves behind a clean smell.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:07 PM on May. 15, 2010