Do you kids end up getting too many treats from neighbors?

My son is 5 and LOVES to give out popsicles, etc. to his neighbor friends when they're playing outside. I don't mind that at all. Problem is, ALL the kids do that, so there at days that he ends up having WAY too many snacks...one kid will bring out popsicles, then one will bring out cookies, then one will bring out more popsicles, etc. during the day. With summer coming, I only expect it to get worse as they are outside a lot more.
Would it be ok to talk to a few of the moms and maybe figure out a snack system? Like each take a day to provide a snack and tell the kids not to go giving stuff out if it's not their day...or one can be the house that gives popsicles, another can give the kids a drink, another can give a healthy snack?
I love that he has a bunch of kids to play with, and love that they like to share stuff...but really he gets too much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• ?? Seriously? You worry too much. A child is a child for such a short time. Enjoy the summers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 14, 2010

• that would be a cute idea ( about asking the other moms to do your idea) .... I mean if you have never talked to them before, it might be a little odd to bring it up lol... but otherwise it sounds good...

my neighbor is my grandma ( 3 houses up) .... and she always gives my kids cokies and ice cream - usually I dont mind because she gives me some too.....lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:34 AM on May. 14, 2010

• You must have some nice neighbors, I dont feed the neighborhood!! I might give them all a glass of water on a hot day, but my grocery list doesnt include all the random kids that come over. Maybe thats because I have a pool and my "treat" is letting them occasionally swim. But if we had the same prob. them I would use the rule, if they are at your house, you treat them and if they are at someone elses home then they are incharge of the treats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 14, 2010

• We don't share food or let our kids get shared food because of food allergies. After seeing what my daughter has gone through with her life-threatening peanut/tree nut allergy, I would never give a piece of food to a child of any age without the parent being right there and approving. And I have to monitor my 20 month old daughter very closely indeed because many, many parents do not think of this as they extend their handful of crackers or whatever to a curious toddler... Not to put the damper on anyone's fun, but allergies are common and serious these days. Many crackers, cookies, etc have things in them that aren't obvious. Some kids are even allergic to soy which is in practically everything... or eggs which is in some ice cream... Just another thing to think about, I know it doesn't answer your question specifically.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on May. 14, 2010

• no
    Anonymous

• All the great part about being a kid. No one ever died of too many popsicles! Let it go, he won't always have this diet...let him be little.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:11 PM on May. 14, 2010

• when I was little I had to call and ask my mom before I had something- that was what ALL of the neighborhood kids did. No one felt left out if mom said "no, you're having supper soon" or some other reason.

And to everyone who says it's fine, they're only kids once- it's not, what they learn now lasts a lifetime!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:16 PM on May. 14, 2010

• You can only be so lucky you have neighbors that you can trust. I don't even know my neighbors.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:17 PM on May. 14, 2010

• When I was little, our neighbor across the street used to give us ice cream treats all the time. It was being NEIGHBORLY. My mom would give icy pops to my friends when they came to visit, and they's bring us icy treats too. Those were the good old days, when parents weren't paranoid about obesity and poisoning and all that jazz. My siblings and I aren't overweight or obese...sorry to all you naysayers!!! Maybe you ought to lighten up a bit, eh?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:19 PM on May. 14, 2010