If you tell the maternity nurses not to feed your baby formula, because you are BF with no problems, would they be in any trouble if they did any way?

I heard that even when you request no formula to be given to your child that they just "yes" you and feed the baby formula anyway. Is there any truth to this? Wouldn't they get in some sort of trouble?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They can't do that unless your child in in danger of starvation and you've signed something giving them permission to take over feedings if you are ill or unable to feed adequately.
    LisaG777

Answer by LisaG777 at 11:39 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Neither of my son's were given formula at the hospital but they were also only away from me for the few minutes it took for them to be circumcised. The nurse I spoke with told me they only give BF babies formula if the mother request for the babie to be in the nursery overnight or in other situations were the babie is away from the mother for an hour or two.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 11:46 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Yes they can do it and no they would not get in any trouble with the hospital. That is why most that are adamant about breastfeeding make sure baby rooms in and baby is not taken out of the room with out a caregiver.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on May. 14, 2010

• It happened to me! I wanted to breastfeed, no formula. I had a c section. My son was perfectly healthy and didnt need any medical care. My fiance was suppose to take my son straight to the recovery soom after he was cleaned up in the or and all the tests and measurements and stuff were done and wait for me to get there...That didnt happen..There was this crazy (my doctor told me she was crazy and has a strange obsession with doing this) nurse who believes that babies need to eat asap after birth and since it woulb be almost 2 hours till i could feed him that she needed to give him a bottle. So my doctor told her no, he was fine and to just leave him here. Well the crazy nurse told my doctor that she needed to take him to the nicu because his blood sugar was low. So she said ok and they took him up there. My fiance went with and he said the moment they set foot in the nicu she sat down and said he needed a bottle and gave it
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:55 AM on May. 14, 2010

• to him. My fiance didnt know any better. He just listened to the pros. Well he mentioned this to the doctor and come to find out, she never took his blood sugar till well after he had that bottle!!!!!!!!! She lied. Shes obsessive and wierd. My doctor chewed her up one side and down the other and she still insists she did nothing wrong.. She got talked to by the head nicu nurse about it.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:58 AM on May. 14, 2010

• It happens all the time. That's why baby is not let out of your sight after birth.

Yes, they CAN get in trouble...but most moms don't pursue it. I personally would pursue it, but mine stayed with me every minute so the situation didn't arise.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:58 AM on May. 14, 2010

• OP here. With my first they took her away to get cleaned up and said she needed to be warmed. I didn't get her back for over an hour. I told them not to give her formula. I friend told me later on that they give newborns formula anyway even if they know your BFing. My second DD is due in a month. Is there any reason why she would be taken out of my DH's site if she is healthy?
    Anonymous

• **sight
    Anonymous

• They would be in danger of me strangling them! There's absolutely no reason to feed an infant formula or go against a mother's wishes. I delivered at a hospital that was pro-breastfeeding and respected my choice.
    Anonymous

• I've never had the hospital give my babies formula - I've had 4 and only the 2nd roomed in exclusively (the first had to be in NICU for a few days, and after the 3rd and 4th I knew I needed every bit of rest I could get before I went home to my older kids!). Even when my oldest was in the NICU and I couldn't go see him (the docs had given me medication requiring me not to be moved for 24 hours) they didn't give him formula. The nurses always asked if I wanted to breastfeed and would bring my babies to me when they were hungry. At the hospital I delivered in, they are very supportive of breastfeeding (you are required to have a visit with a lactation consultant even if you think you are going to formula feed) and don't give formula unless you request it.

Answer by missanc at 12:55 PM on May. 14, 2010