Breast Pump Questions. Would really like some advice from moms who use them.

Hi moms. I am currently in the process of re-lactating. It has taken me WEEKS to get where I am now. Getting what I have been told is breastmilk. The problem is this: I pump for 15-20 minutes, every 2-3 hours, I only get enough milk out to cover my nipples and/or the breast shield. It NEVER NEVER makes it down and into the bottle.
I am currently using the Evenflo Dual Electric Breast Pump. It was given as a gift and I was TOLD it was the best on the market. NUH UH. This thing BLOWS! because it sure as heck doesnt suck! <~LOL
I've been told to rent a Hospital Grade Pump. My hospital does not rent breast pumps. Then I was told the next best thing is a MEDELA. I've been looking into getting one.
So my questions are: Mom's who have used medelas, how are they? Suction? How long does it usually take to pump a couple ounces? Is it worth the price?

Thank you!!!

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 11:42 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used a medella that I got from the WIC office, I loved it! It even had a thing on there where I could record dd crying so it would my milk come down while I was at work. It might not be the pump that sucks so bad, the suction cups might not fit you right. I had to use two different sized ones with my pump. The one for my right nipple was HUGE. but as soon as we got the sizes figured out it made a huge difference.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 5:20 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I was engorged and my son would never latch. So i successfully pumped for 6 weeks. (and then my body realized it was a pump and turned off the milk, it heppens in some moms). My insurance paid to rent a hospital pump. It was a medela. It was a fantastic double pump. Id pump for 15 minutes every 3 hours and get 8 plus ounces at a time.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:49 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I used a medela pump in style and breastfed while working full time and we made it 18 mos
    Babies R Us also rents out pumps, so you may want to try that before buying another one
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:50 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I use the same one you have, and it's been fine for me but I am not relactating either. I get about 2 oz. each time I pump in the a.m. I think I would take the poster above me advice: try Babies R Us to see if you can rent one from there.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 11:55 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Evenflo is the WORST pump brand on the market. Put it under the front wheel of your car and drive over it...it will work better.

No more advice from whoever told you Evenflo was the best...they probably thought the Yugo was great too.

Medela is the GOLD standard for a reason. Find a lactation consultant and you can rent one. I rented a Lactina for ten months. BEST investment ever.

Evenflo = Evilflo for reasons you've discovered.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:57 AM on May. 14, 2010

• I used my SIL's Medela pump she bought 10 years ago & its still excellent! Just replaced the pieces that touched me or the milk & the pump part still works great! She used it for 3 kids, my other SIL used it for her son & then I got it. Medela is the best, if you are close to another city might wanna contact a hospital there, babies r us is also a great suggestion!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:16 PM on May. 14, 2010

• You need a rental pump. Places other than hospitals rent pumps including; medical supply companies, drug stores, lactation consultants, and others. Go to the Medela site and you can find a place that rents them. If you don't want to rent one you can get a Pump-in-Style at Target for around $300.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:38 PM on May. 14, 2010

• If money is an issue you can get a Bailey Pump http://www.baileymed.com/ for around $100. They are EXECELENT pumps. You will need an IBCLC to show you how to put it together. Hygeia is, IMHO, better than Medela. They're WHO code compliant where as Medela is not. http://www.hygeiababy.com/
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:57 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I used the Medela pump-in-style, mostly because I could get it very cheaply through my hubby's company. They had a lactation support program for employees and spouses which gave me consultations with a lactation consultant and the pump for about $100. That thing can really suck! I'd get a full bottle on each side no trouble at all. I'd pump at lunch time at work (3-4 hours after the last nursing session) and get 6-8oz on both side in about 15-20 minutes. That said, with re-lactating you might want something even more powerful so I'd rent the hospital grade one.

Have you looked at the medela website? They might have info. A local lactation consultant might be able to help too; ask your OBs office or hospital for a name. I know there's a baby store on Main St in Nashua, NH that rents them if by some staggering coincidence you live in my area!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:47 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Evenflo is crap. Medela is the best. Also you must learn how to pump efficiently because a pump can never be as good as a baby's suck you need to compensate for that. Go to this website to make the most of your pumping (I know it is for premies but the technique is good for all pumpers). http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:25 PM on May. 14, 2010