How should I handle these crazy temper tantrums my son has been having?

My son turned 2 in Feb and lately he has stopped enjoying things he used to do with me, grocerie shopping is a nightmare, walks to the park...forget, he throws himself on the ground if he cant run into other peoples yards and play with thier toys. I say no and let him have his fit but its getting really embarassing and I dont know if im handling it right, please help. Whats the best way to react to an all out kicking and screamign fit in public?

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 11:45 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the back of the hand works pretty well
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 14, 2010

• well if hitting is your only answer then you shouldnt be giving advice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Ah, the terrible twos! lol. my son is turning 2 next month but hes been that way for awhile. We were leaving him with my mom when we would go out shopping or something, but we have been taking him with us lately, We usually take a small toy for him to play with, or he takes his blanky if were not in there that long. Whenever he screams we usually get on to him about it. I got embarressed at first about it, but I see peopl in public literally screaming at their kids. This one woman one time had her kid in the back part of the cart and he was jumping all around. She said if you fall out and hit your head im not taking you to the hospital. I was like geez, lol. Everyone knows how 2 year olds can be. Dont be embarressed to get after him. If he knows you wont say anything to him, he'll probably just keep screaming and throwing fits. thinking he can easily get away with it lol. But GL :)
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 12:03 PM on May. 14, 2010

• My DD is 2 1/2 and if she acts up she gets one warning. I tell her if she does not behave she will get a spanking! Sometimes she calms down sometimes she doesn't. When she doesn't I spank her. When she does calm down I praise her. I tell her what a great job she did calming down. IF you use positive re-enforcment along with consequences it should work! If not do not take him anywhere for a while and he'll get bored having to stay home. If that is not possible than you just have to be consistent!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:11 PM on May. 14, 2010

• When I have to take my son out by myself I have a red small bag that is his. He gets juice, snack, book, and toy in it. He knows it's his bag, he carries it and when he is in the store he snacks and drinks his juice while I shop. He thinks he is a big boy cause he gets to carry this bag around. If he starts to get crazy at the store, I usually try to find something interesting to pull off the shelf and give him to look at. Or I pull things off the shelf I want to buy, give it to him to put in the cart, he likes to do things to help. If daddy is with us and he starts to act really crazy, one of us will take him out to the car while he throws his fit.
    Anonymous

• Let him get it out and let him get upset. He might not be expressing himself very well right now but he is upset. Just let him cry but be there for him. Put your arms out when he starts to calm and he should come hug you and you can move on. Ignore him, punish him or smack him does not help him at all. He needs to know its ok to FEEL and although his expression isnt great right now its all he knows. Trust me, the more he gets to express himself the less tantrums he will have and the more cries and cuddles you will get. If my 2 year old doesn't get what he wants now he will cry and give me a hug and thats it. He is able to process his feelings a lot better now. If you ignore it or punish him he will bottle it all up and when he gets upset again it all floods out and the tantrum will be worse. Feelings have to come out .

Forget what other people think.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:16 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Anon :11 so you reward your kid for bad behavior?

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:17 PM on May. 14, 2010

• WHY NOT TEACH YOUR CHILDREN THEIR EMOTIONS!!!! THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I TAUGHT MY DD!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:20 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Tantrums suck. Remember that it's a phase. Some kids have worse ones than others. My son had horrible tantrums. It was so embarrassing. Depending upon where I was when he was having the tantrum, I either ignored it completely (or tried to) or removed him from where we are so he could have his tantrum in more suitable place....like the car...lol. Wish I had better advice. It does get better with age as they learn how to communicate better! I think I avoided my local Target for around a year after one of my son's epic tantrums!
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 1:05 PM on May. 14, 2010

• it's wonderful, isn't it? geez i know exactly what you're going through. just stay calm and tell your son to be good for his mommy and he will get to walk around the store, hold hands, help you put things in the cart and if he's really good while you're out, he will get a treat (milk, snack-- whatever he really likes). and tell him if he acts up, he'll get a time out and not be able to go bye-bye's with you anymore...lol...i don't know..i struggle with it everyday. some days my daughter is in excellent behavior and other days it is a nightmare. i don't understand why she puts up a fight and embarrasing temper tantrum when we've been at the park for 2 hours and it's time to go...she never wants to leave the park..lol...hopefully it gets better!! hopefully it's just a phase that 2 year olds go though...but, i hear it gets worse at 4. ;) we'll see...good luck to you!
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 2:07 PM on May. 14, 2010