How do I get my baby to have a bowl movment?

Lexi is 4 months old but she was 3 months early so she is 1 month is you go by her due date. I am stuck cuz she cant have things most 4 month olds can. It is going on day 3. Plez some one help me with this one

Amber_Lynn_P_88

Asked by Amber_Lynn_P_88 at 11:49 AM on May. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would talk to the pediatrician about this, 3 days is a long time for an infant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 14, 2010

• Have you tried taking her temp. rectally? Sometimes that will encourage a bowl movement.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 11:53 AM on May. 14, 2010

• My son used to be constipated a lot when he was a baby.
    Are you formula feeding? If so, do you use the formula with lower iron? We switched to the lower iron stuff which helped with my son's bowel movements.

We would also lay him on his back and gently massage his tummy, cycle his legs and push his knees towards his tummy to help him push.

If you're breastfeeding try cutting dairy out of your diet for a couple of weeks. Sometimes that helps.

Babies don't necessarily poop every day.
    If your baby is breastfed then she could go up to a week with no poops because all of the nutrients get absorbed and there's very little waste.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:00 PM on May. 14, 2010

• My DD was born with an under developed digestive system and we had to stimulate her bowel movements for a while. I would use a rubber grove and rub her anus. Just the outside of it. I know it sounds gross but thats what the doc had us do.
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:09 PM on May. 14, 2010

• right, check the formula used if it s soy formula stop it or if it has high iron. you can help him by massaging his rectal with vaseline it help
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 12:12 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Get a thermometer, & put a water based lubricant jelly on the very end (about the last 1/2 inch). Insert about 1/2 into the rectum & very gently make a circular motion- that will spread the lube around & also stimulate the bowels.
    Another thing recommended to me by my midwife was making tea out of fennel seed. Start with 1 oz... wait an hour or 2, if she hasn't had a BM yet, give 2 oz... wait another hour or 2, if she hasn't had a BM yet, give 3 oz... and so on. You might need to put just a pinch of sugar in it, because fennel can be kinda bitter.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:12 AM on May. 15, 2010

• It is normal for breastfed babies to go more than a week between bowel movements.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 AM on May. 15, 2010

• If she is breast fed then no need to worry until it has been past 6 days. Then you can try a warm bath, tummy massage, 'bicycling' the legs and a rectal thermometer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:54 PM on May. 15, 2010