What can you do for a cough?

My son has kept me up most of the night and when he did sleep, he woke up coughing so much he puked. I have a feeling somethings tickling his throat because he coughs all the time. Is there anything I can do to stop the coughing? I think I may need to make a doctor's appointment.

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 12:03 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I take my child into the bathroom, close the door, and turn the hot water on full blast in the shower. it is really helpful to add a few drops of peppermint essential oil. maybe 5 at the most. it is really powerful stuff and when it mixes with the steam, it can burn your eyes. hang out in there for about five minutes and let him breathe in the steam. this will open up his lungs and soothe a tired chest and throat. after doing that, i put vicks on his feet and put socks on him. giving them honey is another great idea. i usually do that after the steam and vicks. my kid's won't eat honey from a spoon, so i make them a peppermint or chamomile tea and add plenty of honey. the mint opens the airway and the heat and honey soothe the itchiness and help to relieve the cough. good luck. <3
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 12:18 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I put vicks vapor rub on my sons feet and put socks on them. Works like a charm.
    Anonymous

• give him a spoonfull of honey, it will coat his thoat..and should help with the coughing
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:06 PM on May. 14, 2010

• if its really dry he might be coughing bc his throat is dry. Use a humidifier in his room. Does he have a runny nose? Nasal drainage? This might be causing him to cough too. Is it a dry barking cough-does he sound like a seal? If so this is croup.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:10 PM on May. 14, 2010

• No Vicks VapoRub. The label warns it's not for kids under 2. How stupid is putting it on a child's feet!

You do need a doctor's appointment if your little one is coughing so hard to vomit. It could be asthma. That is what my oldest son's first asthma attack was and he had to spend 2 weeks in a children's hospital, much of the time in ICU. It could be pneumonia or bronchitis, allergies, ear infection, or just a cold. With a child so young you need to get it checked pronto.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:20 PM on May. 14, 2010

• gailll...you were kind of hostile there at the beginning...you have obviously never tried putting the vapor rub on feet...it works much better and faster than putting it on the chest. and if you are worried about it not being safe, a good alternative would be to add some peppermint essential oil to olive oil or any other carrier oil and rub that on the child instead.
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 12:25 PM on May. 14, 2010

• they have vapor rub for babies....anyways i don't put it on my baby's feet b/c he chews on his toes but i have put it on his chest and back, call the baby's doctor and see what they think they may want to see him or call him in a prescription
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:48 PM on May. 14, 2010