would you consider this racism?

If a person feels uncomfortable around a different race because they're not used to it, would you consider them racist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:17 PM on May. 14, 2010

• no, just small minded and naive.
    LisaG777

Answer by LisaG777 at 12:19 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I don't think I'd consider that racism.

To me racism is race fueled hatred.
    Feeling uncomfortable because you're not used to a certain race may be a little ignorant but unless they hate the person because of their race or feel superior to that person because of race, then I don't know if it can be called racism.

I feel uncomfortable when I'm in a group of religious people because it's not something I'm used to. It's a cultural difference that I didn't grow up with and so I feel uncomfortable.
    I don't hate religious people, I'm just not educated in their beliefs or customs.
    (just as an example of what I mean)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:21 PM on May. 14, 2010

• this feeling is normal and its about adapting to others who are different.
    Anonymous

• No, I wouldn't.
    Anonymous

• no, thats not racist. My DH who was born in our small town in Montana and had never even been on vacation, was in awe when I took him to Seattle on vacation. He did not have any negative feelings towards other races, but had never been the minority in a large group of people as he was when we went to the mall there.
    There was probably one black kid in his high school growing up. So he was definitely ignorant, but not racist as he didnt feel superior in any way, just taken back.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:01 PM on May. 14, 2010

• no thats not racism.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:17 PM on May. 14, 2010

• nope....
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:47 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Thank you all for your replies. The reason I ask is because I went to a BBQ the other day and I was the minority there. That was a first for me (we don't live in the states) and I felt uncomfortable. Not so uncomfortable that I didn't enjoy myself, just strange being somewhere with people who were speaking a different language and had different customs. My mother raised me better than that, I felt guilty for not being totally at ease. I've just never had the opportunity to experience something different. Anyways, thanks again.
    Anonymous