So I am Breastfeeding & on Merina could I still get pregnant?

I am wondering cuz I havent had my period in 5 months and its scary to think I might get Pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Health

• if you are having sex there is always some possibility you could be pregnant. That being said the Mirena and breastfeeding can stop your periods. How old is your LO? Most women do not get a cycle back until at least 6 months post partum (with no birth control). I myself did not get mine back until about 15 months with both. if you were having cycles and they suddenly stopped then I would be more worried, but again the Mirena can stop your periods too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:57 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Your docotor should have told you in the beginning that the IUD could cause you not to have periods. I have one and I havnt had a period in 2 years.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:27 PM on May. 14, 2010

• It is possible if you are having sex. No birth control is 100%. For some women, mirena completely stops their period.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:28 PM on May. 14, 2010

• The chance is very small, but there is always a chance. If you are very concerned about not getting pregnant you could also use condoms or foam or both. Each method you add reduces your chances.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:30 PM on May. 14, 2010

• breastfeeding stops your period
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 12:31 PM on May. 14, 2010

• probably not. I was BF'ing when I got the Mirena. She is weaned now but I never had a period on it.
    Anonymous

• Yes you can. For the women saying breastfeeding stops your period, yes it does for some women, but it does NOT stop ovulation!
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding does not always stop your period. I breastfed my son for over a year, and the month after he was born ( Jan 08) my period started as if I had never stopped having one. You are MORE fertile while you are breastfeeding. But with the Mirena you should be as safe as any birth control allows. Nothing is 100%.
    connor12907

Answer by connor12907 at 10:35 PM on May. 14, 2010

• If you're having sex, you can get pregnant. NO birth control method is 100% effective except abstinence. What do people not understand about this?
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:01 AM on May. 15, 2010