How come men try to avoid getting a vasectomy?

When a woman asks her man to have a vasectomy she is saying that their family is complete and she doesn't want to have anymore children with him. As a man, that would flatter me because it means she will never cheat on me because she knows if she gets pregnant, he won't be the father. So why do so many men try not to have one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it has to do with their "precious" jewels being hurt... UGH! Men. they can be babies. I think its 100x better for a man to get snipped than a woman! Plain & Simple!
    I dont think I could have much respect for a man if he refused to do it & would rather have his wife do it.. For a woman its a surgery. she has to be put under. she has to opened up & it has a big recovery time. Also a womans life is effected way more. Our hormones are controlled by whats going under the belt...
    A guy simple goes get a lil local anethesia, maybe a pain pill & in less than 1 hr is completely done & ready to go home. They may have to sit around for 3 days but thats it..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:57 PM on May. 14, 2010

• i think it's just the thought of their balls being cut....atleast that's what my dh says
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:37 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Because it emasculates them.

Part of being a "man" is having the ability to "spread his seed" and blah, blah, blah.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:37 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Maybe they feel it takes away their manhood? We have already decided that he will be snipped just before his 41st.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:37 PM on May. 14, 2010

• they are chickens! I actually posted a similiar question asking whether she had her tubes tied or he had a vasectomy. Most said tubes tied! My SO had a vasectomy but he would of rathered I get tubes tied but I was like no I have three kids its your turn and you really don't want anymore. So he finally agreed. I did not fight him about it or push him and he finally decided it was time. We have three so we are done. I do not thinkthey at all are thinking it means she won't cheat! They are more concerned with the procedure putting them out or causing dysfunction to that certain area!
    Anonymous

• Who tells them not to get one? It's the best birth control choice. My 30 year old son just had one and he hasn't even had children. My 22 year old is going to get one as soon as he can find a doctor that will do it. He has no children. My 27 year old son has one child and is considering it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:40 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I really wish I had the answer to this question. I have a 3.5 yr old, a 2 yr old, and a 5 month old. All 3 were c-sections. I don't want another surgery. I'm done. DH says he will get a V every time I bring it up, but now 5 months PP and he still hasn't scheduled a dr appt. I've very frustrated. I'm allergic to every condom we've tried. I have a raging case of thrush that the pill made worse, so I quit taking it. I really don't know what we're going to do.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:50 PM on May. 14, 2010

• OP here:

We are expecting our 4th so obviously the topic has come up. I was talking about it with one of my friends and I told her DH doesn't want one because "he'll feel like less of a man", she said, "how does having too many kids to count running around the house makes you feel like a man?"
    Anonymous

• Hahaha... IDK. My dad said it didn't hurt too bad. DH is begging for one b/c this is our 3rd on the way. I told him he could do it AFTER he/she is born.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:53 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I don't know why some men get so weird about it. My husband couldn't wait to have his done!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:16 PM on May. 14, 2010