Signing with babies

My twin boys are 8 months old this friday and I've started doing a few signs with them, mostly "eat"
I'm curious as to how long it took your baby to catch on, and what ages and all that fun stuff.
Thanks!

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:42 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started with my youngest at around 4-5 months with just a few basic signs. He understood the signs before he was able to actually sign back - the first time he signed back was around 9 months. As he learned more, we added more signs until he started to talk more. He's 18 months now and he still will occasionally use them, but now I make him say the word when he signs it.

Answer by missanc at 12:51 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I started at 8 mos with my dd and I think she started signing back about a month or so later. She didn't really talk until she was 19 mos and the first words she said were the words we signed. It's a great relief and stopped many tantrums early on! She's 2.5 now and still knows the signs... she thinks it's fun and I think it's a great thing for them to learn! Good job mommy and they will pick it up soon!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:51 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I would say you're about where we were. We started about then, and he uses a handful of signs still (at 21 months). He even came up with a few of his own! But it's nice, because he can ask for things he still can't pronounce (though he still signs for things he can sometimes), such as "medicine", which he understands the use of. He has signs for medicine, eat/food, thirsty, all done, please, more, help, rooster (that one was his), thank you.... (that's what I can think of). They really do help, and have since before he was really speaking. He can say "all done," "please" and "thank you" now, but chooses to use the signs for those. But he does have probably 100 words now, if not more, and he's far less frustrated when we understand what he's asking for than he would be if he couldn't pronounce those things.
    Give it time, and be patient and consistent. They'll get it with time! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:45 AM on May. 16, 2010