Adults and kids swearing/cussing...

Moms, do you swear/cuss? Alone, around other adults or kids? Do your kids cuss, either with or without your permission? How old were you when you started cussing? I was young, around 6. My dad caught me saying a swear word when I was 4 or 5 and told me I couldn't cuss until I could read, so I learned to read. I was an army brat though, and there were more kids cussing at school than not on the army base. I don't cuss around my daughter, and she knows that there are words that she can't say, but I do cuss worse than a sailor most other times. Just curious about other. Please, no bashing "your a bad mommy" crap, just an answer.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 12:54 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I was in the Navy for 10 years and I cuss like a sailor. However, I'm pretty good about watching my mouth around other people. I don't cuss (or at least not louder than my husband can hear) when in public because I don't want to offend old people, religious people, or kids. Mostly I just cuss around my husband and if I ever get together with old Navy friends, then around them, too. LOL.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:01 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Yes, yes, yes, and no. I grew up with parents that cussed like sailors, and I just knew better. My mom would have knocked me into next week if I'd so much as dared. I didn't start til I was 13 or so and it was the 'cool' thing to do. Lame, I know, but what 13 year old isn't lol. My kids know better. The fear of God works wonders.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't cuss. I grew up being taught that it was unlady like and made you sound uneducated. My husband will slip up and cuss in front of the kids occasionally (usually when he's driving lol) but not often.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:58 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I cuss, around adults, and the worst I say around DD is Crud. I started cussing at 3 because my dad wouldn't listen to my mom about watching what he said. he learned as he said the same phrase to the dog every morning "Go# damn dog" and I went out in front of him one morning and said it first.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:59 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I swear around my friends, I don't swear in front of my kids and I only use a select few swear words around my mum because there are a couple she doesn't like.

I go through mini phases. Sometimes I swear like a trucker when I'm out with my friends and sometimes I feel like it just makes me sound stupid and trashy.

I never swear around kids and I really despise when people swear around mine.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:00 PM on May. 14, 2010

• No, I don't cuss around my kids or anyone else. I was brought up that it wasn't appropriate language, so I didn't use it, ever. My husband will occasionally slip around me, although out of respect he makes sure it isn't a habit (but I'm fairly sure he uses it at work, or it wouldn't slip), but he's extremely careful around the kids. My kids do not cuss - they are 8, 10, and 12. My 10 year old used one when he was 5, before he knew what it meant but he had heard it somewhere (we were playing Chutes and Ladders and he had to slide down a chute, it was pretty funny, but I didn't laugh). I corrected him and told him in front of the others that he would be sent to his room if it ever happened again. I've never heard any other cuss words out of their mouth. They aren't even allowed to say "dumb, stupid, shut up, etc. because I think they are crude words and my kids are smart enough to come up with something better to say.

Answer by missanc at 1:01 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I don't swear but my hubby sometimes does and it bugs me. My son recently started saying 'bitch' but I'm slowly breaking him of it. I used to swear when I was a kid because my mother thought it was perfectly OK but I stopped as a teen when I figured out that people who swear sound ignorant and uncouth.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:13 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Not really. Occasionally I might say "Siht".....(if I am falling down on ice in the winter, for example. LOL.) But I don't use any of the other words. My parents never did either. I don't think my kids or grandkids do. Back in the "olden days" in Minnesota...the 1950's and 1960's, we didn't swear or get very upset or angry. Minnesota nice???? We hold the anger in. Hehe.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:30 PM on May. 14, 2010

• LOL once when my now 24 yr old son was 2 a woman cut me off in traffic. I tapped my horn at her, she honked back and had the nerve to flip me off. So in a moment of anger and not using my head, I honked back flipped her off and yelled...like an idiot F-U! From that moment on every time that boy heard a horn beep in traffic he yelled F-U! Mother of the year I know lol!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:20 PM on May. 14, 2010