I can't take being yelled at anymore!!!!! How do you make your husband knock it off?

In the past year my income has decreased by 2/3 I have told my husband over and over we need to budget,, but he screams at me and will not discuss it. We had booked a trip right before I lost my job,, and have really had to watch our money, so that we can afford to go,,,,,anyhoo we leave in 2 weeks and today he was going to the hardware store,, and I said can I ask what your getting,, the response IDK what ever the hell I want too! Your not my mother and I am sick of you SLAM the door. I just don't know what to do,,, honestly if the trip wasn't paid for,, I might just leave...it is not good for our son to see his dad yell at me,, he refuses to TALK about anything! Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on May. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm so sorry you have to go through that and your right your son doesn't need to sse that. I would sit down with him and ask him why he thinks that and explain to him that your not trying to control him you were just concerned cause moneys tight and you want to make sure to have enough for your trip or something like that. And also if you want to talk to someone message me I'd be happy to talk since I have a similar problem.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:09 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I left my ex due to the way he treated me - my 3 year old son started telling his dad "stop yelling at mommy" and I could see no way that would end up in a positive situation as he grew up and got bigger. I wouldn't give him an audience, if he starts yelling and doesn't leave, then you need to leave the room, telling him when he is ready to discuss the matter calmly you will be ready. Sorry I can't give you any better advice! Maybe try some counseling, if he's willing?

Answer by missanc at 1:04 PM on May. 14, 2010

• My husband wouldn't dare. Sounds I don't know the whole situation but I wouldn't be living in that atmosphere. I hope he allows you to enjoy your trip. I would not be happy to save and scrimp and then do nothing but listen to him bitch and scream the whole time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:07 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Maybe you should try asking how he feels about a budget rather than telling him that he needs to. And harping on him everytime he wants to go somewhere about "can I ask you what your getting" does sound like you are trying to be his mom.

Maybe you should sit down with him at a time when you haven't said anything about money instead of trying to discuss it after he's bought something or is going to buy something.

If he still won't talk about it at that point, I would say that you need to talk about how he treats you and whether or not you will stay with him if he continues.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:12 PM on May. 14, 2010

• Well, this would be VERY out of character of my husband because I would never be with a man who EVER treated me this way or even close to this way, but if he's unwilling to talk to you and treating you this way - you are right.. you need to leave..what else can you do at this point?! imagine what your vacation will be like anyway.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:13 PM on May. 14, 2010

• I would listen to what he was saying and stop trying to be his mom. My husband does the bills for this very reason. It makes him act more responsibly with the money, because he knows what it all has to go to, and I dont have to worry about it. It makes my life so much easier ( I still have access to everything and we still discuss it when issues come up, or if big purchases are going to be made, but he deals with the day to day stuff)
    Anonymous

• Sit and do the bills WITH him. Set a weekly allowance for EACH of you on what you can spend. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

If you can trust him to do the bills himself, hand him the responsibility for a while. I don't do that because my husband does mess it up. But I give him a daily brief of where we are.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:59 PM on May. 14, 2010